Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly won't connect to the Internet

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and model number of your computer? There are usually two ways to restore it to it's factory new state.

Start then All Programs. Look for folders with the name of your computer manufacture. Usually in one of them you find a way to start the Recovery Manager. Alternatively, pressing a key or key combination during boot will start it. Which key or key combo varies with manufactures, which is I need the make and model number. Should be able to find the Users Guide at their web site which will tell us how to do this.

Advertisements

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I borrowed the wireless card from another computer (it was working) this computer recognizes it and has good signal strength but it still won't connect to the internet

Edited by Missohmygod, 01 February 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
My computer was a build no Manufacturer ie. dell or intel.... Will this still work?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If it's not a computer from Dell, Compaq, HP, etc then there may not be a recovery partition on the hard drive so you will need a Vista/Windows 7 install DVD.

Which are you running, Vista or Windows 7?

How did the version of Windows you have get on the computer initially? Who ever you got it from should have provided you with the install DVD as that is a requirement from Microsoft for Vista and Windows 7.

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I have the windows 7 disk, but it only installs another windows doesn't clear the old stuff off

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
See here: How to Do a Clean Installation with Windows 7

That will show you how to remove what is currently installed and start with a new, fresh (Clean) istall of Win 7.

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It didn't go exactly as shown hopefully I didn't mess things up more

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok I did that and it's still the same thing

Edited by Missohmygod, 04 February 2012 - 11:37 AM.

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
My device drivers are 2008 do you think I just need updated ones and it will connect?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm sorry but I don't know what you did or didn't do and what did or didn't work.

Were you able to follow the directions for a Clean Install? If not, what happened? Where did you have problems?

Where did you get the device drivers to install?

Are there any yellow marks in Device Manager (Start / Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter)

Advertisements

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I did get a clean install and reformat it didn't go exact ally as the site said but I did And my connection issues are the same so I'm asking should I save drivers onto a disk and put them on this one? If so what drivers and where do u find them

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
First, are there any yellow marks in Device Manager (Start / Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter).

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yellow marks? All the tabs are white

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, that says all the device drivers are loaded and working correctly.

How are you connecting to the router now? You mentioned borrowing a wireless card but do you normally use an Ethernet cable?

I really need to see the output of ipconfig.

Please open a Elevated Command Prompt as follows: How to Open a Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7

Enter the following exactly as shown, note the spaces between words and parameters:

ipconfig /all > postme.txt & ping yahoo.com >> postme.txt & notepad postme.txt & del postme.txt

and press ENTER.

A file will open in Notepad. Please copy and paste the contents here. Close the Notepad window and the file will be deleted. Type exit and press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

Since you don't have a network connection to the computer, you will have to copy the data to a flash drive then take it to a computer that does have a network connection to paste it here.

Also, is your network connection built into the system board or is it an add-on PCI card? If it's built in it will be up near the USB ports. One possibility is to try an add-on PCI card and see if that fixes the problem, but I would like to see the output of ipconfig before doing anything else.

One other thought. Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking, see if that gives you a working network connection: How to Start Windows 7 in Safe Mode. Scroll down to 5. To Start in Safe Mode with Networking

Missohmygod

Missohmygod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
No connection in safe mode

When I put in the txt in red it opened notepad and said commonly find postme would you like to open a new file