Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Logged Event 55 ntfs

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You have a Beta version of MSI Afterburner installed.
MSI Afterburner 2.0.0 Beta 4
(2.0.0 Beta 4)MSI Co., LTD4/1/11

Beta versions are released mainly for testing purposes within the user community. They are tested by MSI, but then released for the wider testing amongst the user.
You should generally speaking never install a Beta version on your everyday computer.

This is the official MSI forum

http://event.msi.com...urner/index.htm

and if you are going to use the Afterburner you should install the last released certified version from there.
NOT the Beta version from wherever you did obtain it, even if that was direct from MSI.
That all said, do you really want or need to overclock your graphics, all sort of problems can arise.

Also update Java you have update 29 on version 6, 30 is the latest update.

Advertisements

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

and if you are going to use the Afterburner you should install the last released certified version from there.
NOT the Beta version from wherever you did obtain it, even if that was direct from MSI.
That all said, do you really want or need to overclock your graphics, all sort of problems can arise.

I've never used Afterburner and I'm not into overclocking.

Also I've updated java to the newest version.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Cheers
You will appreciate that when I saw the afterburner BETA installed I had no way of knowing that you had not used it and it MAY have been the cause.

Just about to press the big switch when I saw your post, so I will post again about 1800hrs.

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP
I would suggest that you run HDD diags - SeaTools for DOS, LONG test

http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD
Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by Macboatmaster, 06 February 2012 - 04:35 PM.
To provide direct link to Seagate

m8dman

m8dman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I haven't had anymore event 55 error's since I switched my Hard Drive power option to never. Hopefully that fixed the problem. I still need to do the event viewer thing though.

I'd rather be safe then sorry.

I would suggest that you run HDD diags - SeaTools for DOS, LONG test -
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

I'll have to pick up some blank CD's before I do the test. I don't have any on hand right now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Re the link to Seagate and what was a link to Image Burn you will not need the ISO burning program as Windows7 has its own inbuilt ISO burning utility. See NOW the Seagate site for the instructions.

Seagate have actually with effect from December last acquired the business of Samsung, in respect of hard drives

December 19, 2011 - Seagate Technology plc (NASDAQ: STX), a world leader in hard disk drives and storage solutions, today announced the closing of the transaction to acquire the hard disk drive (HDD) business of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in digital consumer electronics and information technology.

HOWEVER I am uncertain, if the Seagate - Seatools, although it will run in its generic form on ANY hard drive will run in full analysis mode as it would on a Seagate hard
drive.

It probably does not matter a great deal as the full mode produces a set of codes particular to Seagate drives.

I WOULD MOST CERTAINLY ADVISE that you ensure a full backup exists BEFORE you run the extended test.
As unlikely as it is,
that any damage wil be caused to the file system, there is ALWAYS a chance. SLIGHTLY greater then the risk in running a chkdsk /r.

The orignal recommended tests for Samsung drives
http://www.tacktech....tid=287#samsung

are NOT now valid links on this site as they simply default to the Seagate page and then the downloads in respect of Samsung on the Seagate site fofr drive testing refer only to external drives.