Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kaspersly Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Well,this question might seem off the topic,but I couldn't find a better place to ask.In our institute,they have made it mandatory to install Kaspersky 6.0(they provide the license) else they would disconnect the PC from the LAN on which Kaspersky isn't installed.My question is:

If they do not physically check each and every system for Kaspersky installation,then how would they know whether we have installed Kaspersky AV or not?

(I expect many to reply that Kaspersky is a good AV,but I prefer Avast)

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Most antiviruses will check back for updates periodically. It would be easy to write a program to look at the traffic at the main router and see which computers are on line and which did not check for updates with Kaspersky. They could also look for update requests from other anti-viruses and flag them.

I'm not all that familiar with Kaspersky but I know it gets in the way when you use your browser so there may be a tag on the packets that they could check on too.

Ron

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Can't we write a dummy program to check for updates from the Kaspersky website?
Consider this.If someone has installed some other anti-virus as well as Kaspersky,then would this be considered violation of the norm?
I will try to download the update for Avast manually using some proxy.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Consider this.If someone has installed some other anti-virus as well as Kaspersky,then would this be considered violation of the norm?

Might not be in violation of their rules but it would be a pretty stupid thing to do. Two anti-viruses will fight each other and will slow the PC down a lot and probably not be as effective as one.

I use Avast myself but that's mostly because I'm too cheap to pay for Kaspersky and I figure if I get infected I can easily clean it. The only problem I've seen with Kaspersky is that you need to manually go in to your browser and install their certificate or you will get an invalid certificate warning. The instructions on how to do that on their website haven't been updated for Firefox since version 3.0 and we are now at 9.0 The latest test shows it head and shoulders above the rest:

http://www.av-test.o...ts/novdec-2011/

Can't say I see the point of all of this work just to keep from changing Anti-viruses.