Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why No Wi-fi?

• Please log in to reply

thailen

thailen

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
My ex-girl friend had a PC which we were able to connect to the Internet via a wi-fi system in or condo building. My PC(Windows 7-64bi)t, connects to the Internet via a cable modem. I bought a router and connected the cable from the modem to the router and a cable from the router to my PC. Everything worked fine; she had no trouble getting the Internet thru Wi-fi. Then we split up and I removed the router cable and plugged the cable directly into my PC from the modem. Again, no problem.
I recently bought another PC(a Netbook, like hers was) and reconnected the cables as they were before she left. But I couldn't get the cable modem to connect to the Internet. It's only when I disconnect the cable from the router that I get an Internet connection. In the Control Panel, under Network and Sharing Center, I see the Wi-fi is connected to my floor's Wi-fi, but the SBN(cable modem) which my PC connects to the Internet with, is X'd out.
I need to know what steps to take to connect me to both networks.

Advertisements