Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shutdown problem

• Please log in to reply

buckeye454

buckeye454

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I am using Windows 7 Pro. When I click Start>>shutdown, i believe Windows shuts down because the monitor shows no input. However, the computer does not shut down. I have to press and hold the power button to turn it off. I'm thinking it's the mainboard, but not sure. thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Sounds like a driver problem.

Can you try shutting down forcefully by going to start -> run and typing shutdown -f -s and pressing enter?

buckeye454

buckeye454

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I was very busy. Anyway I will try this and let you know. If its a driver issue why does the monitor input shut down? Just trying to understand.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

It is possible that when you do a shut down, the PC shuts down most things but not others. So it may shut down your keyboard mouse speakers monitor but not the components that keep it running.

buckeye454

buckeye454

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello risingphoenix,

I tried at the command prompt "shutdown -f -s". This did not work. It shuts down the same. Everything but the tower appears to shut down. Should I go through and update all drivers from the manufacturers' websites? It still seems odd to me that nothing on the system has changed for about 6 months. So it did work with the current drivers. However, I will do as you suggest. Just tell me my next move.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

OK, next move... Can you boot your PC in to safe mode? (http://windows.micro...er-in-safe-mode)

Once in safe mode, try shutting down the PC.

buckeye454

buckeye454

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello risingphoenix1985,

I tried Safe Mode. It did not work.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Can you click the start button and type "reliability". Open the reliability monitor and see if there are any errors.

Can you post what you find?

buckeye454

buckeye454

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello risingphoenix1985,

Can I get back to you on Monday? I have a busy weekend and will not be able to work on the computer until Monday.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Sure, I'll be around.