Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programs reinstall after each startup, Can't switch "users"

• Please log in to reply

c12345

c12345

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!

What an issue I've come across. I hope someone may be able to help!

My son shares my laptop (unfortunately for me). I knowingly keep a specific monitoring program (refog) running at all times to be my eyes when I am not able to. He used a P2P file sharing program, which I assume led to this issue.

Out of the blue, Google started redirecting to odd places, the monitoring program completely vanished (not stopped working, just disappeared... and my son does NOT know how to do this and couldn't uninstall without admin access anyway), and each time I start up the computer, it acts as if it's the first time it's ran. (i.e. Firefox asks if it wants to be set as default browser, other programs act the same way, as if they were never used before). I was also not able to "change users" at all. The laptop would only allow me to log on using my account (admin).

I ran anti-virus, came across a few threats, removed them, and assumed all was fine. (Done in safe mode) I re-installed monitoring program and tested it, it seemed to work fine (it is a decently stable program, not freeware). But each time the computer gets shut off and restarts, the same thing happens: all programs act as they are starting "from scratch", monitoring program vanishes every time, google still redirects. The laptop is also very sluggish.

I'm sorry I can't be more detailed as I am far from being an expert!

Oh, some sidenotes... I tried to follow the instructions on how to fix google redirects. RKill (which I've used before in the past) won't run, and neither will TDSS Killer. I was getting desperate and just trying anything I could to get the laptop back to a semi-normal state, as I'm afraid to log in to any important sites such as banking, email, etc.

Thank you again for any assistance you can provide. I appreciate it so much

Take care

Advertisements