Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM adapter

• Please log in to reply

curious1

curious1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer has an ECS 865PE-A v2.0 motherboard which has four RAM slots capable of holding 1GB each. It has a 1GB RAM board in three of the slots and a 512MB board in the fourth slot. I have an extra 512MB RAM board that I would like to add to increase the total RAM to 4GB. Is there an adapter that will connect the two 512MB RAM boards together to equal 1GB to fit into the fourth slot? If so, where can I purchase one? Thank You

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi curious1 and :welcome:

I don't believe there is such an adapter and if there was something that physically allowed it to happen, I don't believe the memory controller on the motherboard would recognize the adapter or the combined RAM.

You would be better off buying a new 1Gb stick.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Also keep in mind that if you have a 32bit OS it will only see about 3.5gb of ram.

Alysher

Alysher

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Also keep in mind that if you have a 32bit OS it will only see about 3.5gb of ram.

not quite true....32bit windows 7 sees 4gb. unless its the starter version

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

not quite true....32bit windows 7 sees 4gb. unless its the starter version

The Starter version is limited to 2Gb, other than that, 123Runner is correct, though perhaps "use" would be a better word than "see". This is because with 32-bit operating systems, hardware mapping takes place in the upper regions, with the graphics card being the biggest mapping factor. You (Windows and your programs) will usually be able to use somewhere from 2.8Gb to 3.6Gb, with 3.2 - 3.5Gb being typical.

Alysher

Alysher

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
odd....my desktop running windows windows 7 ultimate is able to use all 4 gb(or so it seems)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Right click on Computer and select properties. What does it say for usable RAM?

Alysher

Alysher

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
very interesting.....says 3gb....5gb installed.....guess i forgot i left the one GB in when i upgraded....lol! now this desktop has a 3.0 GHz Pentium D processor, will it run the 64bit version of win7...and if so can i still run world of warcraft with it?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

very interesting.....says 3gb....5gb installed.....guess i forgot i left the one GB in when i upgraded....lol! now this desktop has a 3.0 GHz Pentium D processor, will it run the 64bit version of win7...and if so can i still run world of warcraft with it?

While curious1 has yet to return, it is still his thread and it is not good forum etiquette to hijack it for your discussion, nor would I be doing my job if I allowed that to happen. So please start your own topic for your own questions. Thanks.

Alysher

Alysher

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

While curious1 has yet to return, it is still his thread and it is not good forum etiquette to hijack it for your discussion, nor would I be doing my job if I allowed that to happen. So please start your own topic for your own questions. Thanks.

opps....my bad...got off on a tangent.

curious1

curious1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm running windows xp home (32 bit). My computer presently sees 3.5 GB. Does this mean that it would be a waste of money if I bought another 1GB stick? Thank You

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'm running windows xp home (32 bit). My computer presently sees 3.5 GB. Does this mean that it would be a waste of money if I bought another 1GB stick? Thank You

Yep you will not get the benefit as you are at the max a 32 bit OS will utilize already. To be able to use more you would need to format your hard drive and install a 64 bit OS.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yes and no.

If talking just RAM amounts, then I agree that buying another 1Gb stick would be a waste of money. But we are not talking just about RAM amounts. Your motherboard supports dual-channel memory architecture which allows your RAM to process data on both sides of the cycle - in effect almost doubling the speed of single channel memory architecture.

However, in order for dual-channel to work, RAM must be configured in "matched" pairs. So right now, you most likely have 1 pair (2Gb) working in dual-channel, but the second pair (1.5Gb), not being a matched pair, are working in slower single channel mode.

So, if you bought another 1Gb module that matches the specs of that other 1Gb module, you will not see more RAM, but your second 2Gb will run in much faster dual-channel mode. So even though you will not have more RAM, your CPU and Windows will have a better performing pool of RAM to play in. And that's a good thing too.

curious1

curious1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
you guys are awesome -- thanks for your help!