Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI Gaming Laptop rebuild Project

• Please log in to reply

Alysher

Alysher

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
for the last two years Ive been looking for a replacement for my emachine M6810 laptop. i didn't want or have the money for new, but i wanted something that can handle World of Warcraft and some of the other games i like to play all the time. i finally found an MSI CR600 that i know i can rebuild to replace it. now im having a bit of a difficult time finding replacement parts for one of the components. specifically the LCD Mounting rails/bracket. im not sure how this happened, but some how the hinges broke off the LCD back cover...with parts of the cover still attached to the hinges(its possible the hinges need to be fixed, but that's a tad down the line atm) now the mounting rails for the LCD actually mount both at the top and bottom of the cover, and the rails broke off with the hinges.....now is it possible to weld/solder the rails back together, or would i be better off attempting to make my own brackets? or would there be any brackets that can be substituted with decent stability?

and i should mention that the brackets do have some lettering/numbers on them....both say: MS168X LCD BRACKET L(R for the right one)

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

You would need to take the brackets to a welding shop so they could determine what the material is and if it could be welded.

Replacement parts, used, http://www.notebooks...nmhiu1piv5hs76l link is from this Google search.
https://www.google.c...l2547l2-5.4l9l0

Alysher

Alysher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
thanks for the links, unfortunatly the brackets are in europe so shipping is extravagent.

OK, so what about using the monitor with the broken brackets? is it possible or will i break the new cover that i am getting?

i also would like to know if the hinges i have are set too tight. any one know the tension specs for hinges? and if these are set too tight or need to be lubed(i can see grease in the hinges so i assume that they normally have a small amount of such in them) and if so what would the procedure be?

Edited by Alysher, 04 February 2012 - 10:18 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry can"t help as I really don't know abou repairing laptops. I did see some on one English site but $68 each, + shipping. Happen it might be better to look for a complete machine on eBay.
came across this manual, https://docs.google....semble-168a.pdf

Alysher

Alysher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
um anyone else?

Alysher

Alysher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
ok, so i was able to tack weld the LCD monitor mounts back together. :thumbsup:
[attachment=56157:IMG_0013.JPG]

i placed the screen back in and attached the hinges to the cover after reconditioning them(2 pair of pliers and some bearing grease works wonders!) the welds seem to hold very well and there is no flex in the cover when the hinges are moved.
[attachment=56158:IMG_0018.JPG]

now the bezel needs some work now...the two mounts on lower half where the screws go are broke, like someone just ripped the bezel off the cover(possible that when the old cover broke the bezel broke at the screw mount as well)
[attachment=56159:bezel corner.jpg]

so now i must find a proper material to fix the mounts. now JB weld works really good for fixing the internal mounts(to hold the friction nuts), would epoxying some plastic pieces the right shape and size work for this?

now my girlfriend has the exact same model(bought it for her for her birthday) and i was able to test the screen. it works fine, so now this system will need a motherboard, ram and HD