Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Apache web server from outside the network

• Please log in to reply

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have installed Apache on Windows 7.I can also visit the localhost by typing my PC's IP address on any other PC on the LAN.How to access this server from outside the network? For example,from a PC that is in my home.My PC resides behind our college's router and firewall.I have come across people saying to port forward,but how? Do I need to know the model of the router of our college to port-forward?

Note:-canyouseeme.org indicates that port 80 is blocked.

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

It's not surprising that port 80 is blocked, I doubt the college would like web sites behind their firewall.

To answer your question, you would need to log on to the router/firewall and instruct it to forward all traffic on port 80 to your PC.

You would need to talk to the people who maintain the router and ask if they can do this for you.

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have heard of port forwarding.Would that help?

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

Instructing the router to forward all traffic on a certain port to your PC would be port forwarding.

It's simple enough to do, but you would have to ask the college systems team to do it for you.

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=878381

A post on this thread says that port 8080 can be used in Apache.Is it possible to do so?

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

You can indeed but this won't help you unless you can port forward on the router.

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Well,that leaves me stuck.But can you tell how to access my server from outside my LAN? Just how.What address should I type or what configurations should be done to Apache to make it accessible to outside the LAn leaving aside the port forwarding problem.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

The standard configuration of Apache will be visible. As a general rule, if you can see it by typing localhost or 127.0.0.1 in to your browser it will be visible to people.

If you got the port forwarding side sorted out, people could access your site by typing in the external facing IP of your network.

If you were to view your network properties you would see your IP address (typically) assigned by DHCP from the Router/Firewall which would be (in most cases) be something like 192.169.*.*. If you were to go to Google and type in "What is my IP" you would get a completely different IP.

Once the port forwarding is set, you would type in the IP that Google returned with the path to your site and the traffic would be routed to your PC.

An example would be ...

Before = localhost/mysite/index.php
After = 123.123.123.123/mysite/index.php.

Why don't you use a free website hosting company or one that costs very little? It would be far easier and reliable.

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Well I have found a solution to port 80.I have Himachi and used its IP to access mine.It worked.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

I'm glad you got it working and thanks for letting us know your solution.