Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chrome very slow to load the Home Page

• Please log in to reply

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I am a user of Firefox and have been for years, but now that Mozilla have engaged in a version race to infinity and the Google toolbar plus several add-ons and possibly auxiliary programs do not work, I am considering moving over to Chrome.

I am giving Chrome a good try, but again the Google toolbar,KeyScrambler and NoScript are not supported. As I use Sandboxie and have no personal finance details on my computer, the loss of these otherwise useful programs does not matter too much. Nothing will get onto my computer and knowing my key strokes is of little value. NoScript ? No great loss regarding security.

Question ?

I find that Chrome takes an age to load the Google Home Page and so do many other users on the web. Much slower than Firefox. Seems to be something to do with loading the Cache. Timing it results in 50-60 seconds.

Is there anything that can be done about this ?

Edited by John Bull, 05 February 2012 - 04:20 PM.

Advertisements

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Just an update.

I have found that adjusting the Chrome settings has made a big improvement.

Wrench>Options>Under the Hood>Privacy. Uncheck item 3 and possibly item 2. I am currently running with items 2 and 3 unchecked.

The load time is now 5-10 seconds - it does vary a little, but is mostly around 5 seconds. This is without Sandboxie.
With Sandboxie, the load time is higher at 12-20 seconds. Infinitely better than before, so in the absence of another solution, there it stays. I can live with that.

Here is a screen shot :-

Posted Image

Edited by John Bull, 06 February 2012 - 08:21 PM.

John Bull

John Bull

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Probably this factor is by far the most important in ensuring that loading time is reduced to a minimum.

Clear the Cache and all unnecessary accumulated data like History, Cookies etc. which enables Chrome to load up with no excess baggage.

A fantastic plugin for Chrome enables the automatic cleaning of just about everything on closure. Cache, History and all checked items you select on the list provided. I have checked the box to have a pop-up panel ask me before cleaning. This appears on the desktop after Chrome closure, it is a YES or NO job.

Up until now in tune with others, I thought that the Cache had to be cleaned manually - not so with this plugin.

Visit :-
http://www.hotcleane...ean_chrome.html
and just add to Chrome.

An icon appears on the Chrome toolbar at the top right which when clicked gives a comprehensive menu. Ensure you set the Options to your needs. Click Chrome, check what you want and just go down the list.

This plugin gives Chrome the same automatic cleaning on closure as Firefox and it is so easy. Once the Options are set, there is no further action until you need to implement changes.
You will find the other items on the menu very useful.

OGdexter

OGdexter

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I don't know whether this will help anyone else, but the Chrome AVG plug-in crashed, so I removed it completely ( I have paid Antivirus-Bitdefender) and closed the browser. When I reopened it, Shazam! The Chrome homepage came up instantly like it hasn't done for maybe 2 weeks!