Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A strange wireless problem.

• Please log in to reply

Quickgrif

Quickgrif

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have a at&t modem model2701HG-B that is connected to my main by Ethernet. A few years ago my wife bought a Toshiba laptop and we added it to our modem by wireless connection. After that every-time she used the internet it would kick the modem off on the Ethernet and DSL light indicators. It would then connect disconnect as long as she was using the laptop. We had a tech come out and check the whole system from their side to ours finding no problems that would cause this to happen (he tried using another modem with the same results). We updated the laptop and over time the problem seemed to go away. Note before this my daughter had already a laptop connected to the system with no problems.

Enter my wife getting a macbook snow leopard 10.6 and the problem is in full swing once again. The mac is fully updated including the firmware but it still is kicking the internet modem off just like the Toshiba did. Anyone have a fresh perspective on a way to deal with this?

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

The fact that the network works sometimes and not others would suggest a fault with the modem.

Can you change the AT&T box with a different make such as a netgear or linksys?

Quickgrif

Quickgrif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Can try replacing it, you have any suggestions on a good brand and model? I am also going to run cat5 for my phone line, right now have the old school type.

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

I'd go with Netgear or Linksys myself. They are cheap, efficient and reliable.

Quickgrif

Quickgrif

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for the help on this. Sorry for the delay in replying we are going to try this out this week and I will let you know how it goes.