Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google won't load after malware was removed

• Please log in to reply

pfehringer

pfehringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
All went well until the last part. I tried opening the "documents and settings" folder and it said access denied. The icon for the folder has a shortcut arrow. I went to c:users\Paul\Start Menu and the same thing happened. The icons are also faded. A security issue? I am signed in as admin as far as I know as there is only me on this computer.

I am able to drag the folders to the start menu and it seems to work that way.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I just noticed these instructions are for XP. In Vista it's C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

pfehringer

pfehringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
And for Windows 7?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
The same. Win 7 is basically Vista SP3. No big difference in the file structure.

pfehringer

pfehringer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
All went well. Thanks for all the help. Good to have things back in semi-order again.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Let's see if there is any other damage:

Use IE and go to http://eset.com/onlinescan and click on ESET online Scanner. Accept the terms then press Start (If you get a warning from your browser tell it you want to run it).

# Check Scan Archives
# Push the Start button.
# ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
# When the scan completes, push LIST OF THREATS FOUND
# Push EXPORT TO TEXT FILE , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
# Push the BACK button.
# Push Finish
# Once the scan is completed, you may close the window.
# Use Notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
# Copy and paste that log as a reply.

Let's also try the bitdefender quickscan.

http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/

When it finishes there is a report option. Click on it and copy and paste the report (even if it says nothing found).

Ron