Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD after fresh XP install

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If I have read this correctly and I apologise if I have NOT, you cannot install Windows on ONE computer and expect it to work on another computer.

UNLESS the motherboard and chipset especially is the SAME.

When you install Windows, the installation finds the drivers for THAT computers chipset, graphics, etc etc.

If the drivers for YOUR particular computer are not included on the installation DVD and Microsoft spent a lot of money obtaining drivers from the major manufacturers for motherboards grpahics etc to incorporate them in the in the installation software then it uses generic drivers.

In that case you are then recommended to install the correct drivers from the motherboard CD and then go to the site to obtain the latest.

I am NOT at all surprised that it will not load Windows.

In fact just ONE reason will be the hard disk controller.

7B Stop error - many causes but ONE is
If the drivers to your hard drive controller are outdated, incorrect, or corrupted then the STOP 0x0000007B error will likely occur.

NB MY apologies I now realise this was POINTED OUT to you early in the thread

Advertisements

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It was pointed out, as was the fact that no keyboard works on that machine. And now eMachines tells me they can't provide a recovery disc because it is more than 3 years old.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
emachines have NEVER been highly regarded in their support systems, although it is not surprising that recovery discs are not available, especially for an XP installation.

I did apologise you will NOTE when I realised that it had been pointed out to you that it was unlikely to load windows AND yes, I did read that no keyboard works on that E machines computer.

It is not too concerning that the USB ports were not working, although of course that may be symptomatic of a larger problem.

Please remember, that I have NO way of knowing your level of knowledge.

1. IS the keyboard in the correct PS2 port, the one nearest to the outside edge of the case I think and coloured grey or purple.

2. If that fails to boot into setup, using the key indicated on the post screen, presuming it does post, then there is a definite hardware problem.

3. As of course you have formatted the drive we cannot now use any pre-installed hardware analysis.

Check please the connection in the PS2 ports and try entering setup

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One thing I wanted to ask is if you are using a ps2 kb and mouse and not a usb type with adapters?

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you. The only keyboard[s] I have available are USB, so I had to use an adapter. The adapter was plugged into the proper port, purple with a picture of a keyboard. I will see if I can locate a natural PS/2 keyboard.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That will verify for sure the PS2 port is not working. If so then I think it will be safe to assume the mobo is the issue.

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
PS2 keyboard arrived, working fine. Up to formatting for fresh XP install. eMachines offers very limited updates, but I will see how it goes once install is completed.

eMachines downloads

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good news.

As soon as you have it installed do not FORGET the anti-virus before you go on the internet.
Unless it is ONLY of course to download and install an A/V

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now I would check if you can get into windows if the Device Manager is showing a issue with the USB ports.

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No joy. I got a copy of Media I gave to someone else a few years ago. Ran Windows Setup, reformatted and loaded files. PC restarted and stuck indefinitely at the first splash screen (before the BIOS or Boot Sequence option). I decided maybe it was just another Dell reinstall disc. So I slaved it in again, reformatted, put back into PC1 and begin install. This time I used a copy of XP Home edition that I know is a generic install (not brand-specific). Same thing, Windows Setup to format and load files, then reboot and stuck at first splash screen. So once again I'm stuck.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
From all your installs I see you saying"

Ran Windows Setup, reformatted and loaded files. PC restarted and stuck indefinitely at the first splash screen (before the BIOS or Boot Sequence option).

Try deleting the partition and then recreating it from scratch. Then do the format (Full and not a quick format).
Then install from there. At that point everything should be basic.

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Same result. Deleted the partition, created a new one, full reformate, loaded files, restarted and stuck on first screen.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Strange... is this a genuine Microsoft installation disk, recovery disk or a downloaded and burned disk?
I would like to check the hard drive itself to make sure we don't have a issue there.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

HardMaple72

HardMaple72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did the full scan and the hard drive passed without errors. The XP Home Edition disc I tried last was a genuine installation disc (not brand-specific). I just found on ebay that is advertising building eMachines model-specific recovery discs so I ordered one. Unfortunately he is England, so it will take a week or so to receive. Thanx for your help so far.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In the meantime we can run a few tests to see if there is anything else that is a problem.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.