Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WWBMU exe boot loader pops up every time I start windows, How do I get

• Please log in to reply

atriuum

atriuum

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

How do I get rid of it? I googled, but all I got was information that didn't work. This boot loader is in german, and it pops up every time I start windows prompting to select the partition I want to boot from. Basically I made a boot disc that was supposed to do something else, but instead I accidentally installed the bootloader. There is no option to uninstall it as far as I can tell. How do I get rid of it?

And is it on the hard drive, or somewhere else?

Edited by atriuum, 11 February 2012 - 06:05 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Look on the Startup tab in msconfig, see if WWBMU is listed there. If yes, uncheck it then reboot.

Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and press Enter.

If not, does it show up on the BOOT.INI tab? If yes, remove that line and that should get rind of it. Make a note of where it's pointing so you can also remove the folder/files it uses.

atriuum

atriuum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for replying. It is not in the StartUp tab list of startup programs. This is my boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noguiboot

There is no line that I see which references WWBMU bootloader.

I also looked through program files folder, and I don't see the bootloader.

Edited by atriuum, 13 February 2012 - 07:22 AM.

atriuum

atriuum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
By the way, I installed this bootloader during boot. So, the machine booted from the disc that had the bootloader, a dos-like screen popped up, IN GERMAN, at which point I inadvertently installed the bootloader by trying to get out of the screen. I hope this helps in finding a solution.

Could I have installed the program to CMOS or something. I don't see it anywhere in Program Files folder. Or in the Remove Programs in CtrlPnl window.

Edited by atriuum, 13 February 2012 - 07:20 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have any way to reinstall XP?
  • Recovery partition on the hard drive
  • OEM Recovery discs
  • XP Installation CD
Is you data backed up so if a reinstall becomes necessary you wont lose anything?

If you don't have an XP CD, download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time. If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File. This can be done from any computer.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter:
fixmbr
fixboot

Reboot and see how things are. If that doesn't fix it you can try a Repair Install.

Next to try would be a Parallel Install

Last resort if nothing else works is a Clean Install:
Clean Install- WhatTheTech
Clean Install - Michael Stevens Tech

Note: If you do a Clean Install, make sure you do a long format of the drive and not a Quick format during the install process.

atriuum

atriuum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks again for responding.

I have an installation CD, but I was hoping not to have to go that route.

Will fixboot only replace the boot sector or will it mess with other areas of the drive and potentially erase data from non-boot sectors. I have 50 GB used on a 160GB drive, and it's not partitioned. It is defragged.

Edited by atriuum, 13 February 2012 - 05:26 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you have your data backed up? fixboot and fixmbr will not mess with the partitions or data but as Mr. Murphy says, the more important your data, the more likely it is that something will go wrong (or something like that).

Before doing anything else, backup your data!!!!!!!!