Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Graphic Card

• Please log in to reply

BVann89

BVann89

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've noticed ever since I've installed my GeForce 6600GT, my computer has become very slow and bogged down. Games that I had ealier playing on my GeForce 5200FX ran better and faster than they do now. I bought this card hoping for some decenct graphics only they the got worse. I've downloaded the latest Drivers from NVidia. Many recommend Memtest, but my freakin comp. doesnt have a floppy. And I did Driver Cleaner too. Nothing can fix my problem. What do yall think happened? Any reccomendations?

Dell Dim. 4600
2.4 Ghz Intel P4
XFX 128mb GeForce 6600Gt
60GB Hardrive
700+Ram :tazz:

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
when you changed the card, did you uninstall the video drivers? best procedure is uninstall drivers, shut down, change the card, power up, install drivers.

it wouldnt hurt to uninstall the drivers now, reboot, and then install the latest nvidia drivers now.
let me know if that helps or not.

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
sorry to sound like a smart [bleep], but all nvidia drivers are unified so im pretty sure he should just update and thats all but anyways, I am also almost positive that you are running with a psu wattage that is lower than what is required by your new card! It happend to me a while ago at least, so tell me your specs and all the devices you have running, ie: cd roms, ram stick, vid cards, hd's, speakers or whatever other crazy things are drawing off you power supply and ill tell you if that is the problem. Oh yeah and tell me your psu make and wattage. also you should take into account that if you try to bump all the cool new features up you could end up with less performance.

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
it is most likely the psu not up to power

BVann89

BVann89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention I updated to a 450w PSU before installing the card. I also uninstalled the previous drivers and then installed the new ones. This really blows :tazz: . Appreciate the replies. Anything else?

Oh here are my specs

2.4 Ghz Intel P4
700mb-something RAM
60 GB Hard Drive
XFX 6600Gt

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
are you familiar with getting into the BIOS on your pc? take a look at the AGP settings, let us know what they are.

to get into bios on a dell, its usually the delete (del) or F2 key that you have to press when the machine first boots up.

if you havent worked in BIOS before, use the arrow keys to navigate around, but dont change anything yet. just let us know what the settings are for the AGP.

BVann89

BVann89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry not to familiar with BIOS, but it's 128mb and 8X. Is that what you needed?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
take a look in the bios for what settings the AGP is using. I am looking for if its at 4x or 8x, if fast write is enabled or not, and the aperture size.