Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS XP Professional Service Pack 3 help needed

• Please log in to reply

sasba858

sasba858

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi guys,

My new bare Hard Drive came in today after old Hard Drive crashed last week. I inserted the reinstall CD for MS Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 which came with my Dell Vostro 1520, and installed the operating system. Where do I go from here?

I also have a Dell DVD that came with my Vostro 1520 that says, Drivers and Utilities. Should I install and run that next?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I also have a Dell DVD that came with my Vostro 1520 that says, Drivers and Utilities. Should I install and run that next?

Yep that would be your next step. :thumbsup:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Then after installing the drivers, first things first get your antivirus program on there and updated. Then install all Microsoft Update patches.

sasba858

sasba858

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I am trying to go by this link below, but I am not sure about something/

My link

My question is, should I just install the drivers that are checked off, which say that "a hardware scan has detected the presence of this device" or should I try installing every drive that there is?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
List seems to be in the correct order so I would suggest following it. The chipset driver is number 2 but it is before any other motherboard drivers and that is where it needs to be.

sasba858

sasba858

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
There are 3 options under Chip Set Drivers:

#1. Intel Mobile Chipset Rev AOO
#2. 02Micro OZH24 SD/MMC Host Controller Rev AOO (This one is the only one checked, which also says this, "a hardware scan has detected the presence of this device")
#3. Sony Felica Smart Card Rev AOO

Should I only need to install the driver #2 because it is checked, and is been detected this device?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would install them all if you have them. Do you have a SD card reader? Do you have the Smart Card?

sasba858

sasba858

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

I would install them all if you have them. Do you have a SD card reader? Do you have the Smart Card?

Under my Service tag number the following 6 downloads show up. Are these the only drivers I need to download?

DELL_BACKUP---RECOVERY-MANAG_A00_R270960.exe (27MB) Optional 6/2/2010 A00 Applies to:
Backup & Recovery Manager ASSY,BASE,NBK,L13,FCG01,UK
Download File Go to My Download List Diagnostics (1)File Title Importance Release Date Version Add to My Download List Actions Dell-Diagnostics Utility

CW1374A0.exe (4MB) Optional 3/31/2010 A1374A0 / A0488, A1374A0 Applies to:
32 Bit Diagnostics (Graphical User Interface version)
Download File More Download Formats >
Go to My Download List Network (2)File Title Importance Release Date Version Add to My Download List Actions Dell-Driver

R161378.exe (96MB) Recommended 6/4/2009 5.1.0.3400, A00 Applies to:
Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR)
Download File Go to My Download List Dell-Driver

R219313.exe (96MB) Recommended 8/14/2009 5.10.79.14 (Driver); 5.10.79.22 (Application), A25-1 Applies to:
Wireless WLAN 1510 Half MiniCard (4322) Dell Wireless 1397, 1510 Half MiniCard ANT,CBL,WRLES,USFF,780 Wireless WLAN 1397 Half MiniCard (4312bg) CDSK,DRVR,NTWK,WRLES,WW,M09
Download File Go to My Download List Removable Storage (1)File Title Importance Release Date Version Add to My Download List Actions HLDS-Firmware

GT10N-A111.zip (1MB) Recommended 4/14/2011 A111, A07 Applies to:
GT10N 8X 12.7 SATA Trayload DVDRW
Download File Go to My Download List Serial ATA (1)File Title Importance Release Date Version Add to My Download List Actions Seagate-Hardware

R250352.exe (4MB)Recommended12/2/2009 4SDM1 or 5SDM1, A00 Applies to:
ST9250410ASG ST9320423ASG ST9500420ASG ST980412ASG

Edited by sasba858, 13 February 2012 - 10:39 PM.

sasba858

sasba858

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I thank everyone for all thier help thus far, be I am still confused about a few things. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sasba install the drivers disk first and foremost. After that we will move on to the next step of updating all your drivers after you have the OS itself updated through Microsoft.

Advertisements

sasba858

sasba858

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I believe I got all or most of the drivers installed. Here is where I am at now. I opened a IE and downloaded a Avast, then I did my MS updates. How do I change my home from this MSN email to my yahoo email. When I click the picture of the home, it does not give me the option to change my Home to yahoo. Do I go start - email - internet properties - Home page address - and type in the link to my yahoo email account?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With IE open go to the top and click on Tools and then click on Options. The first window that opens is your Homepage. There you can change what page the browser first opens to.

sasba858

sasba858

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Thanks! I got it working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK now I would like to confirm the drivers please just for my own satisfaction. Please do the following instructions.

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

sasba858

sasba858

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
The print screen on my Vostro 1520 keyboard is on the F11 key. But after I do what you say, when I go to paint in the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key then click the V key nothing appears in empty white area of Paint.

The only thing that is now showing up in the Device Manager under "Other Devices" is SM Bus Controller.

P.S. Also I accidentally removed Paint out of Accessories and on to my Desktop. How can I put it back into Accessories under All Programs?

Edited by sasba858, 14 February 2012 - 02:53 PM.