Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win 7 64bit. devices and printers window is blank

• Please log in to reply

bjwdds

bjwdds

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a problem with my devices and printers window going suddenly blank. A friend said to use a command box and type in "net start spooler", which I did and I received the message "System 5 error has occured, access is denied. My friend tried all he knew, and it is not fixed. I did 2 system restores in safe mode, and it did not fix it. Other services seem to be working, but I can only print in email. It seems that the printers and drivers are there, but now, I cannot see them. Can you help please?? Bruce W

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi Bruce and :welcome:

Did it ever work right? Were there other changes to you system about the same time you first noticed the problem? Have you scanned for malware?

You may need to uninstall the printer driver and reinstall it.

bjwdds

bjwdds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Mod---Yes it worked fine until I merged 2 sectors on the same drive via Acronis disk director home. It did a good job. But the window for printers got blank. I tried malwarebytes, and Iobit malware program. None found.
Printers all work fine, just cannot see them. I am considering a repair install of win 7 pro, advised to me by a friend. What do you think about that?
Bruce

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Printers all work fine, just cannot see them.

You said in your opening post you can only print in email. Is that still the case? What if you try to print in Word, Notepad, your browser? Is the problem that you can print in everything but cannot see any devices in the Control Panel applet?

Click on the Start ORB and in the text box, start entering print managment. When you see that appear at top click to run that. You should see your printers there.

I saw ensuring the Bluetooth service is set to Automatic was suggested several times to fix this problem - though that was for notebooks, not PCs. You have not told us anything about your hardware.

Re-adding the printer helped others, assuming it lets you add a new printer.

Before doing a repair install, I would try running System File Checker (sfc /scanow) first.

bjwdds

bjwdds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
MOD: Is the problem that you can print in everything but cannot see any devices in the Control Panel applet? YES, this is the problem. After your message, I tried all the applications and the web, and everything prints ok. It is just that devices and printers window comes up blank. I will try your suggestions and then I will get back to you Saturday.

Edited by bjwdds, 16 February 2012 - 09:04 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I will try your suggestions and then I will get back to you Saturday.

Sounds like a plan. Please do keep us posted.

bjwdds

bjwdds

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Digerati:
Success. The print management did show all the printers. Then I ran sfc and it restored the file. Now I have all my printers back in "Devices and Printers". Thank you very much for your help.
I will tell others about this great site. Bruce Walker

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Super! I am glad it worked without having to do a repair install.

Thanks for the follow up!