Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Issue with Laptop after Power Surge

• Please log in to reply

david2134132

david2134132

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

A few days ago, I experienced a power surge (approx. 350 volts), which has affected a few appliances in my home and in some way, seems to have affected my laptop. I live in a country with 220-240 V power rather than the normal 110-120 of the United States. Here is the rundown of what happened.

After the power surge, I noticed that my laptop would no longer charge (although it worked normally off of battery. I assumed that my A/C adapter had been destroyed by the surge, so I got out my spare A/C adapter. Unfortunately, this did not seem to work either. On both A/C adapters, the light showing that it functions would turn off almost immediately after being plugged into the power source (but this did not happen before the surge). Does this indicate that these are being automatically turned off because of high voltage? They should not, since my power at home right now is at 200V and these say that they will function as high as 240V.

In addition, if I plug my laptop cord into a international adapter (designed to change 220V to 110V for use with U.S. electronics), then the computer charges. However, these adapters explicitly say that they should not be used with computers or other devices with electronic circuitry. They are designed for short term use and I do not want to fry them or my computer in the process.

Does anyone have any thoughts for me? Are these A/C adapters simply not functioning at the level of the electricity at my home? Did something happen to my laptop during this surge?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
David

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: david2134132

What happens if you remove the battery and use the notebook with only the AC adapter connected?
Using a UPS to protect your system in all instances is vital but when you are in a country with the higher output that you use (as do I) then it is even more important, I don`t know your location so I am using the device at the link purely as an example of what you should consider purchasing for future protection from power surges and outages http://www.newegg.co...N82E16842101349

Another example http://www.maplin.co...ge-guard-454293

Edited by phillpower2, 15 February 2012 - 04:11 AM.
Link added.