Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD error after CPU install

• Please log in to reply

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey guys, new to the site.
A friend of mine has an Asus P5N-E SLI MB. He installed a new Intel Core 2 Quad from having a Intel Core 2 Duo.
The steps he remembers taking was going to asus website and updating his BIOS from 904 or something like that to 1403 because the computer kept saying to update the bios to use the Quad chips full power and he was stuck hitting F1 to continue all the time. (I have a P5N-D the (replacement) and never had this problem even with a old BIOS).

Well a week later, he said the computer starting to crash like crazy and i went over to his house and got the following BSOD error.

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_OR_Equal and under technical info TCPIP.SYS - address AE36D1c4
the of course the dumping of physical memory and complete.
Now i have seen this error on this site from other people but I haven't seen anyone who just recently installed a CPU and updated the BIOS. Not only that he's running out of room in his hard drive.
Specs are as follows.
ASUS P5N-E SLI Mobo latest BIOS update - Windows XP pro SP2 - 4GB RAM DDR2800 - 120GB WD with 30GB left - Geforce 9xxx series - Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz 1333Mhz FSB.

****This just in**** he used asus EasyFlash or something but in windows mode not straight from the BIOS. Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Here is the link to the board

http://uk.asus.com/M...E_SLI/#download

If you click on the tab CPU support list - find the CPU the quad core and then click on Go to the right, it will tell you what BIOS version you needed to run with that CPU.
That is at the top.
Below is the latest BIOS the 1406

The 1403 was not the best choice as it was a BETA release.

If you look at the post screen you will see what version BIOS is being used now and it will also be on system information.
IT is very unlikely that the BIOS flash has caused the error in itself as generally speaking the BIOS either updates, does not update OR fails (corrupt - due to power loss etc)

After flashing the BIOS all settings on the BIOS are returned to default settings and you therefore need to configure the settings appropriate to what you are using.

Full information will of course be in the Motherboard manual and if your friend no longer has it he can download it from the link.

Are there any warnings please on entries in Device Manager.

Needless to say he should also of course install the latest drivers and IF there is a chipset driver update he sholuld include that. In fact if there is one he should do that first.

In respect of the blue screen - TCP/IP Lan connection and.or Wireless adaptor - as above check for new drivers.

If no new drivers available, uninstall from device manager, ONE if you are using both ethernet and wireless, reboot and the computer will find the device and reinstall the driver.
Then do the same with the other adaptor.

Re Lack of space on HDD - please clarify - do you simply mean that he is running out of space- OK at this time 30Gb - absolute minimum 10% - 12Gb
as he has too much installed.

OR I presume you mean because of the memory dump
RUN a diskcleanup.
The actual content of the memory written to the HDD is not needed for assistance purposes.

Download this
WHO CRASHED
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads
Click the analyse tab
scroll for the results
COPY and paste please as the actual report, not as a file which I have to open.

If the crash is a problem - download on another computer, install on this and then send the results from the other computer having copied them to a flash pen.

One other matter that comes to mind is - Did he CLEAN the thermal compound off the cooler and apply new - NOT too much that is a common error. UNLESS of course he bought the CPU as the full retail package with the cooler.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
thanks macboatmaster for getting back to me.

tomorrow I will be going to help him out.
Oh my mistake maybe he did get the 1406, I just couldn't remember. But I will check again.
I'm sure he didn't update any of the chipset drives nor any others as well, and as for thermal compound I know he had to clean it off and had some because he got an OEM chip.

He was having problems with the computer at 1st staying on from too little compound but from adding more the temp settled and it was working fine. at POST it kept saying to update the BIOS to take full advantage of the Quad once the flash update happen the BSOD error came up which was weird and like you said it is unlikely for that too happen because I have done the same upgrade to my machine without a problem and without updating anything else.
I thought maybe he caught a virus or downloading something, seeing how it took a whole week for the problem to start.
Either way I will follow your steps.
I know most people say not to flash the BIOS from the windows screen because of problems that can happen do you think it could have been that too?
Again thanks for the help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You May find this useful
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

It is a brief explanation from our expert on these matters - Digerati
I view the main issue here as the return to BIOS defaults after the BIOS update.

We will know more when you send the results of the Who Crashed

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey man so he contacted me today because he was trying to back up data in case he needs to put windows back in.
He said the computer after a while of being on turned off/restarted or showed BSOD. He did manage to run a few temp reading programs and the temp was around 50 to 55C.
So could this mean that the paste is pretty much doing its job? I asked him if the temp shot up before the BSOD and restarting and he said no.

I'm going to clean off the paste come tomorrow just in case there is too much. Also side question in relation to the article you sent me, would it be safe for me to move the paste around with my finger to make sure its even?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
NO use the method described

Cut off one cotton swap near the end. Bend the plastic shaft about 1/2 inch from the cut end to make a nice little hockey stick. This is the working end of your TIM application device

Here is the Intel guide you will note again - do not use your finger
http://www.intel.com...b/CS-030329.htm

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Copy that.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
ok man, just giving you the heads up that im at his place and getting ready to follow your steps, i'm going to back up all his stuff too in case i have to put windows back in.
it seems to be staying on fine in the BIOS screen Temp is looking good so far 51C idle.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: COMPUTER
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 3756503040 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2042290176

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 2/18/2012 3:01:54 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021712-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x74FD2)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8054BFD2, 0xFFFFFFFFA8BC7820, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: MicrosoftÆ WindowsÆ Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 2/18/2012 3:00:33 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021712-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x14757A)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFBF94757A, 0xFFFFFFFFA8E8F1D4, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 2/17/2012 1:11:44 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021712-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x64BFA)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007F (0x8, 0xFFFFFFFFB8348D70, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a trap was generated by the Intel CPU and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 2/16/2012 1:22:06 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021612-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvenetfd.sys (NVENETFD+0x34AE)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000D1 (0x666CC, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFAE36D1C4)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvenetfd.sys
product: NVENETFD
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Networking Function Driver.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvenetfd.sys (NVIDIA Networking Function Driver., NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvenetfd.sys NVIDIA Corporation CUSTOM_ERROR

On Sun 7/24/2011 4:11:25 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072411-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dump_wmimmc.sys (dump_wmimmc+0x70E8)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFA6FBF0E8, 0xFFFFFFFFA9AB93F4, 0x0)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: dump_wmimmc.sys .
Google query: dump_wmimmc.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 7/1/2011 4:06:44 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: cmudax3.sys (cmudax3+0x2B64A)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000093, 0xFFFFFFFFB62BB646, 0xFFFFFFFFA63AF220, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cmudax3.sys
product: C-Media Audio Driver (WDM)
company: C-Media Inc
description: C-Media Audio WDM Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: cmudax3.sys (C-Media Audio WDM Driver, C-Media Inc).
Google query: cmudax3.sys C-Media Inc KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Sun 6/19/2011 4:58:58 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061911-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: cmudax3.sys (cmudax3+0x2B63B)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000093, 0xFFFFFFFFB5620634, 0xFFFFFFFFA3496220, 0x0)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: cmudax3.sys (C-Media Audio WDM Driver, C-Media Inc).

On Sun 6/19/2011 4:56:18 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061911-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000093, 0xFFFFFFFFB6290646, 0xFFFFFFFFA592D220, 0x0)

On Sun 6/19/2011 4:48:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini061911-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000093, 0xFFFFFFFFB6290646, 0xFFFFFFFFA5E9F220, 0x0)

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupt:
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021612-02.dmp

Conclusion

On your computer a total of 10 crash dumps have been found. Only 9 could be analyzed. 3 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvenetfd.sys (NVIDIA Networking Function Driver., NVIDIA Corporation)

cmudax3.sys (C-Media Audio WDM Driver, C-Media Inc)

dump_wmimmc.sys

***update***
So I left the PC on for about 30mins in BIOS screen, no crash. Left it on the windows desktop for 1 hour no crashes, Temp still 51c to 55c.
I did a defrag using Auslogics and ran CCleaner, which found 115 registry errors all pointing to network areas and firefox. Once CCleaner did it's thing the computer has been behaving more responsive. He also said last night he tired to back up files and it crashed within 4 mins. He tried to play an online game crashed in 7mins. So far after CCleaner no crashes as of yet and i'm moving files and playing videos offline.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well it is pointless looking at anything except the top four listed results of Who Crashed as everything below that is too old to now even be considered relevant.

I am slightly confused as Who Crashed reports XP with SP3
but on your opening post you say SP2.

If you do decide to try an update on your drivers then you should go to the Nvidia site for the graphics driver and as you have only said this

Geforce 9xxx series

I have not been able to find it for you.
It is not always reliable to search simply on the 9 series.

In respect of the Nvidia chipset driver
nforce 650sli the Asus site offers only the original one form 2006
If you continue to have problems here is the link to the Nvidia one.
http://www.nvidia.co....57-driver.html

HOWEVER that install from NVIDIA must be a last resort, as the driver should really always be taken from the Asus site.

I WOULD run a chkdsk /r on C drive
and then a System File check
that is start
run
type
sfc /scannow

Advertisements

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey man i'm sorry i know this guy told me SP2 lol.
so far its been on for 8 hours now. Before i read this i did a disk clean up and between internet files and compressed files. It said 15GB
I'm doing the check desk now and then i'll do the system file check and get back to you, im probably going to take the computer home with me tonight so i can continue to work on it.

Ok just finished up the scans that you told me to do. Everything past. No errors or crashes.

Edited by randomkaoz, 18 February 2012 - 05:42 PM.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey MAC

sorry this guy tells me stories in parts :)
He said that his experience in most crashes comes from playing online games in Full screen, watching movies or videos on youtube.
Does this sound like an old video card driver??
The only thing that keep throwing me off is the fact that 1) its a TCPIP BSOD error 2) would flashing the BIOS to a more recent point cause all of these issues??

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On the face of it NO - in respect of the BIOS flash.

I have mentioned it two or three times.
The flash resets the BIOS to defaults.
Enter setup and check the settings.

If you or him are unsure of how to set then either consult the motherboard manual or use OPTIMUM default settings.

Go to the ASUS site and download the chipset drivers and then the network driver.
and whatever others are available and relevant ie: the audio driver

Go Nvidia and download the driver offered from here
http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-uk

See how it is then and if still a problem download the chipset driver I offered before on post 10.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey mac did all the updates and still it's acting up. What we ended up doing was just reinstalling windows again just to see if maybe there was something bigger wrong.
Well to my surprise. My friend did a quick reformat and during the install the computer restarted and gave a BSOD 0x08 i believe was the error, it didn't stay on the screen long enough but i have seen this error before with other computers.

So what i did, is that i made the computer put windows back in this time with a regular reformat not the quick option.
Everything went by fine. I put the MB CD inside put the drivers in and right after put the current chipset and network drivers from Asus.
I also installed who crashed just in case.

So far no problems has of yet as we are still in the process of installing programs back.
Mac do you think or know of any programs that can test out a CPU to make sure it is in tip top shape. I can't stop thinking if maybe the CPU is faulty.
Either that or this kid's windows was having problems before hand and just needed something big to change to bring it out.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://downloadcente...Y&DwnldID=19792

If it passes that and you still have problems run a memest AS PER the instructions on this link.
http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/