Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD error after CPU install

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

They did put back the core 2 and so far no problem in two days.

This tells it all right here.

I did check that the CPU is not under ASUS list of support models

This answers the reason why it won't work.

maybe this chip vs the other quads that it supports is some how just different lol. Like something very small and dumb.

Could be a timing or frequency issue and that is why it is not in the supported list.

Advertisements

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
You know by the time i came into the picture i thought well hey maybe before buying the chip these two clowns did that LOL.
Now its been a few more days and still no error. I guess the mother board can't support the chip. I'll call asus just to double check.
But i think its pretty obvious by now seeing how this is the longest it has gone back in his possession and still no crashes.

I spoke to a friend of mine about the problem also since he's back in the states, and from what he said was that sometimes motherboards will boot and run fine with a chip that they weren't meant to have but some where in the programming, CPU vs BIOS and nerdy stuff. The unsupported cpu would start causing very small unseen errors.
So when they start to pile up and become more frequent the computer will crash, restart or display a BSOD trying to pin point where that error happen.
I mean he went on but my knowledge doesn't go that far.
But yeah maybe i'm blowing the whistle too soon, but i think these case is closed guys. Again thanks for all the help, programs and info.
Im sure if they would have just double checked the CPU list this would have been solved weeks ago.

Edited by randomkaoz, 29 February 2012 - 04:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I will continue to monitor this topic just in case but I have to agree with you about the CPU.
Your friend may have to decide if he wants the new CPU he may have to invest in a new motherboard and possibly new memory to get everything to work correctly together. :(

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yeah that's what i told him. Because his board is pretty dated, and i told him even if you were to get a newer 775 board you would probably have to get or want to get a newer Core 2 quad. Which would be some where in the price area of just jumping to sandy bridge. So it seems he might just do that and start saving up from now.
He just said that he would take him 2 years to save up 1700. But i told him it would be worth it because in 2 years we'll be looking at what haswell? He'll skip over the whole bridge era.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In two years everything will be completely changed by then. Components on average completely change every year. Probably by then we will be at 5tb hard drives. Memory is already at 4 gigs on one module and CPU's basically double in speed every year. The first piece of advice would be to determine what the main function of his system will be and build a system based on that with it being able to upgrade in the future.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Exactly. The performance jump that he would see in comparison would be amazing. SSDs are dropping in price. Even the 10K Raptors are getting bigger.

DDR3 clock speeds and boards that support them are moving. USB 3.0, PCI-X 3.0, graphics cards by that time ones that go for 500 now would be in the 200 dollar range.

6 core could be the new standard for high end rigs. The possibilities are endless. He mostly does gaming on his rig and from what i seen its online MMOs or games like dungeon defender.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well we are pleased it is sorted as my colleague says.
However WAY back on post 2
I did say

Here is the link to the board

http://uk.asus.com/M...E_SLI/#download

If you click on the tab CPU support list - find the CPU the quad core and then click on Go to the right, it will tell you what BIOS version you needed to run with that CPU.

which of course as it was not listed would have confirmed that from the start.
HOWEVER the main consideration is that the problem is solved as far as it can be.

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hey MAC yeah your right. But i came in way later and didn't go that far back to the beginning until much later. I asked them why didnt they just do that 1st and these silly fools looked up PSN-D after the computer crashed. Instead of clicking on your link again. sorry man that would have saved us Weeks of testing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No reason to apologize as the ending result worked and that is all that counts. :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Indeed - I echo what my colleague said.
I was not trying to score a point - whatsoever
You have been great to work with.

AND on rethinking the situation it is MY fault for not raising it again.

Advertisements

randomkaoz

randomkaoz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thank you once again guys. No Problem MAC, I ended up keeping the CPU for myself since it works great in my old rig. so it found itself a happy home :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting again.
Hope all continues to go well