Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Keyboard Issue After Cloning

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All,

In need of some help. I have 7 identical Dell Inspiron N5040, all new and ready to go for my business. I have just updated one with all the software I need and have started to clone this 'master' on to the other laptops.

But disaster - after I have re-built 4 laptops to put the hardrive back in, on boot up none of the keyboards work!

Please help! A plug in USB keyboard works, the mouse pad works and one of the laptops works OK.

I have no issues in device manager

All help appreciated

• Technician
  • 1,569 posts
Perhaps others can respond with more information and suggestions.

What OS? How did you clone the disks?

Have you tried going into the control panel and clicking on the keyboard setting? If so, what does it show? You might be able to boot the machine and change the keyboard to the internal keyboard.

It is a bit confusing since you say that none of the keyboards work, but then you say that one of the laptops works ok. Do you know if the one that works is using the original disk?