Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how do i set files to one drive but run win 7 on another?

• Please log in to reply

thetemplegeek

thetemplegeek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my computer has two drives, the primary drive (C:) and my secondary drive that isn't used right now (D:)

drive info:
My primary drive (C:) is full (it is 270 GB)
My secondary drive (D:) is not used (406 GB)

I want to move all of my files and programs to drive (D:) but keep windows 7 and everything it needs to run correctly, on drive (C:).

P.S. i want drive (D:) to be the automatic drive for anything i download or install to run and be stored on.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first thing is to create a swap file on that drive with the minimum and the maximum set to twice the amount of ram you have installed...so if you have 4 GB of ram you want it set to 8GB...it will then be positioned on the outside edge of the drive...that is the fastest part of the drive...this has to be done first to insure its put on the outside edge...
no swap file on the C drive other than the 1 or 2 MBs it says you have to have

then you want to move your my documents folder to the other drive...how to is here...
after you move it anything you save will automatically go there...
you should also create a new folder on the second drive and name it new downloads then set all your browsers to download to that folder
after all that is done defrag both drives
NOTE...you should never fill a drive more than 80%...if you do your system will no longer be able to defrag and you will bog your system considerably