Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver sources, Network download speed problem

• Please log in to reply

npalex

npalex

• Pip
  • 1 posts
System synopsis-
Systemax Computer, XP-Pro, Trend Net wireless network link. Internet service by ATT U-verse, 32Mbp

Background - and Initial problem:
Drop in down load speed, resulting often in time outs. Speed test recorded rates as Low as 1Mbp, Previous highs 11 to 13, average about 10Mbp. Tried cable ethernet connection, continued to get open cable error. Known good cable. There was a determination that the registry was corrupt via an unknown virus. Several attempts to clean system resulted in no improvement. Recommendation to reformat and load new system. Elected to installed new hard drive and reload XP-Pro from my original disk. Many hours doing updates, loading drivers and software. No significant improvement, and in fact appears to be degrading steadily.

A driver scan indicated several drivers outdated, and in one case missing. This is the problem I am seeking help on. The missing driver is SM Buss controller which is firmware in the chipset. The mother board is no longer in production. Board number-K9N6SGM-V MCP61 mATX

How do I find a source for the missing Buss Control driver. Could the fact that the Ethernet circuit does not work be caused by the Buss control driver?

I suspect this computer is not worth all the effort, but a lot of time and effort (money too) has been expended, so now it is a challenge.

all suggestions and help will be appreciated-

Norm

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo and I am sorry to hear about your issue. I will try to assist you as quickly as possible. Please do the following and look for the smbus or mainboard chipset driver first.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.