Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

viewing e-mail attchments

• Please log in to reply

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi,
How do I specify which program I want to use to open up attchments in my e-mail?
I run Windows XP pro sp3 and use BT Yahoo as my mail server.
Regards
Graham

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Moved to email forum.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You cannot really designate a program because it depends on the file type. For example, if the attachment is a Word document, Word will open it. If an Excel document, Excel will open it. A text file, it will likely be opened by Notepad.

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for that Dige I thought that I could specify a ceratain program to open up video attachments as Nero 8 seems to taken over and not always able to open them :confused:

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, you can tell Windows to use a specific program to open up your video attachments, as long as you know what file type they are. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859