Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME - IE and programs won't connect

• Please log in to reply

mpbmari

mpbmari

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello!

I am cleaning up a computer that has Windows ME installed with Norton Anti-Virus.

Upon booting, there is a message that reads the following:

Symantec AntiVirus Auto-Protect
Unable to determine the location of the configuration files.

Clicking through that, the desktop will load, and I can connect to the internet, however IE, Firefox, nor any of the installed programs will connect.

Clicking on anything brings up 2 errors...

Iexplore has caused an error in NISSHEXT.DLL Iexplore will now close.

and

Iexplore has caused an error in NAVSHEXT.DLL Iexplore will now close.

When an IE browser window is open and you type in a URL, such as http://www.yahoo.com it comes back as http:///?%20www.yahoo.com

When trying to connect through Mozilla, an Alert comes up saying:

The connection was refused when attempting to contact start.mozilla.org

Help!!
Mari

Advertisements

Irongeek

Irongeek

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Symantec AntiVirus Auto-Protect
Unable to determine the location of the configuration files.

The message is basically saying Symantec Antivirus is set in Auto-Protect mode cannot find the files to load the application and or the application is corrupted (hence the error codes/messages while at start up). I would recommend uninstalling Symantec and reinstalling Symantec AntiVirus to resolve that issue at start up. Have you ran msconfig? Start run type: msconfig then click OK click on the start up tab, and uncheck the Nortons AV software and nortons internet security? Also, Windows ME has a feature called System restore that allows you to back up your system to a previous state, before you were having these issues. To do this for you OS go here http://support.micro...?...[LN];267951

Now, as far as

Iexplore has caused an error in NISSHEXT.DLL Iexplore will now close.

and

Iexplore has caused an error in NAVSHEXT.DLL Iexplore will now close.

NAVSHEXT.DLL = Process name: Norton AntiVirusNAVShellExt Module

Product: Norton AntiVirus

Company: Symantec Corporation

File: navshext.dll

NISSHEXT.DLL = File: nisshext.dll
Name: NIS Shell Extension
Product: Norton Internet Security

Clicking through that, the desktop will load, and I can connect to the internet, however IE, Firefox, nor any of the installed programs will connect.

Firewall is not installed/configured correctly. Uninstall and reinstall Both Norton Products and repair Internet Explorer will resolve all these minor issues. Hope this helps. Irongeek

*EDIT* This forum doesnt have spell check? Also, how many posts do you have to have to be a Moderator? :tazz:

Edited by Irongeek, 02 June 2005 - 09:59 PM.