Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Got A Warning Not to Download OTL

• Please log in to reply

blueblue

blueblue

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi I'm new here, need help, got a warning whenI clicked the Download button for OTL, from my security provider. It said the site is harmful. I have a feeling it's doesn't want me to have a "competing" program. I already have a log of the object I need to get rid of but wanted to follow instructions here regarding OTL and posting a log.

Advertisements

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hi blueblue,

The download is safe. The publisher will say Unknown, which is probably the reason for the warning. When I downloaded the file IE said 'Warning not a regulary downloaded file'. Dont forget to save it to the desktop. All the best, I hope you get your issues solved.

Edited by Nutloaf, 25 February 2012 - 02:59 PM.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
I got OTL, did a quick scan, have a log, but am afraid to post it publicly, so I'll have to work with it and try fixing it myself. :(

Edited by blueblue, 25 February 2012 - 04:18 PM.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hello again,

Not sure what you have to be afraid of?

Security
Geekstogo.com strictly protects the security of your personal information and honors your choices for its intended use. We carefully protect your data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, or destruction.

Taken from the Privacy Policy.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since what you are using OTL is a malware program I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 17 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

blueblue

blueblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Hi, sorry for not responding. My issue was resolved. The person helping me was very good and patient. First he had me download OTL. This gave him an idea if anything was wrong. Then I downloaded a few other programs, I already had TDSSkiller,. He had me download another product from that same company so I did. There was another program I was instructed to use, too, have to look up what it was. There were some kind of viruses found and they were put into quarentine. He said I could delete them. He also helped me find a program I could use to vaccinate my external drives and thumb drives, and also looked at myh OTL log for another computer that I took offline, but transferred some files to, which I wanted to be sure weren't infected. I had recently ran TDSSkiller on that machine, it quarentined some files, then one of the others I used also found some low level threats I wasn't aware I had, from when I used to use that machine online. Another problem I had with the second machine, I figured out myself. It was a simple fix. Something seemed wrong with the sound, when playing music, it played at the wrong pitch. Re-installing the driver fixed it right up. bb

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible