Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot get into BIOS?

• Please log in to reply

mrush0623

mrush0623

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Windows 7 64-bit
Motherboard: F1A75-M Asus
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracude 7200 Sata 3.0 320GB
Processor: Llano AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz Quad Core
Memory: 12gigs DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX560Ti - 2gb GDDR5 - 256bit
(Dual Monitor - DVI)
Power Supply: 600w Corsair
-------------------------

When I boot or reboot my screen remains black for about 3-5 minutes and then Windows will boot.

I do not see my boot screen (where it says "Press DEL to enter BIOS" ), nor am I able to boot into Safe Mode holding down the F8 key.

Any ideas on what could possibly be causing this?

The system is brand new, and windows was just installed for the first time about 4 days ago. I have never been able to enter BIOS or start in Safe Mode.

Advertisements

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hi mrush0623,

I think its the F12 key for that model. It has the UEFI BIOS (EZ mode).

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
mrush0623

Firstly welcome to GeekstoGo

Brand NEW - in as a purchased ready built system
or as YOU or someone has built?

Additionally I believe you have posted the same problem on other sites where a reply has already been made.
Please do not interpret this as meaning that you have done anything wrong of course, by asking for help on more than one site.
However trying to follow advice issued on separate sites is NOT always a good idea and it is rather a waste of time anyone else offering advice on this site, until we know you are working with us, at GeekstoGo, rather than with one of the other sites.
I may add that the same principle of course applies to the other sites as well.
Especially as you have received replies in THREE of them (I think)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey Mac can you post the link please? My thoughts are that the POST output etc... is all happening on a different display output. But we'll see first what discussion has already taken place.

Edited by Troy, 26 February 2012 - 10:00 PM.
Do not edit my post

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I think its the F12 key for that model. It has the UEFI BIOS (EZ mode).

Being an UEFI BIOS has nothing to do with the key needed to pull up BIOS Setup Menu. A quick check of the manual for that motherboard shows on page 1-17, section 1.9, you hold down the Delete (Del) key to enter the BIOS Setup Menu, not F12.

This being a dual monitor setup, and this happening from Day 1, I go along with Troy on this. Assuming it eventually boots, you might go into your display properties and swap primary and secondary monitors, then reboot and see what happens. You might also consider a multi-monitor utility like UltraMon – not free, but worth it.

Also, depending on your monitor(s) and/or graphics solution, you computer may not support the standard VGA resolution used during the BIOS Setup Menu and boot process. And only when the drivers for the graphics solution are loaded from the boot disk, do you get a display. I have seen this several times when using a digital video input (DVI or HDMI) on some older monitors. The solution was switching to an analog input when I needed to get into the BIOS Setup Menu. A pain, but it worked. This also works if the Boot screen and BIOS Setup Menu are only partly displayed - where the rest of the menu is off the screen.

That said, if you have never been able to get into the BIOS Setup Menu, does that mean you have never set the date and time? If so, then that could come back to bite you with timestamp issues. Hopefully being a new board, only the timezone is off by a few hours.

To expand on the shotgun posting on multiple forums or sites, it is considered poor forum etiquette because it ties up limited resources, and because you may get conflicting results, or confusion for the helpers due to unexpected results. Plus, it is good forum etiquette to follow through on each site, and when shotgun posting, it is common, sadly, for some threads to be left dangling - and that is frowned upon too. And again, this is "Internet" etiquette, not just here at Geekstogo. Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am now able to say that mrush0623 has responded on ONE of the other sites and progress has been made.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Sorry Digerati,

I went to the manufacturers website, remembered that it was F8 he was pressing. The webpage mentioned F12, and I thought YES! problem solved, that was an easy one!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No problem. Easy mistake. I try to download the manual and verify any time we are given the specific model number - every BIOS, chipset and motherboard maker have their own ways of doing things.