Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Text Is Bugged in numerous games (letters are partially blackened)

• Please log in to reply

pz3shwks

pz3shwks

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm having this very strange problem where in-game text has black characters. Parts of the letters and words will be the normal white color while other parts are black, making the text illegible. Currently this is affecting Deus Ex Human Revolution, Serious Sam HD, and Civilization 4. I thought it was originally a bug with one of the games, but now that it has the same problem throughout three games, I suspect something is wrong with my system. Any ideas?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what video card do you have? Have you tried updating your video drivers?

pz3shwks

pz3shwks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
EVGA Nvidia GTX 580, with the latest WHQL drivers

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you checked resolution of your monitor? Same thing can happen if your running games at 1080x724 on a LCD instead of the native resolution.

pz3shwks

pz3shwks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I'm using the my TV's default 1080p resolution in-game.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you said tv. A monitor is designed to display text easily and at close distance versus a tv. I run a pc as a media center. I see issues with text unless I lower the resolution.

some suggestions:
1: lower resolution 1366x768 works for me.
2: try going into Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display and change text to 125%
3: while in the control panel, click on "adjust clear type text" on the left pane. Verify that cleartype is enabled.

pz3shwks

pz3shwks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I tried lowering the resolution, but that only makes the bugged text bigger. I also tried removing the high DPI I had (it was at 150%), but the problem persisted. The Clear Type is also enabled.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
weird. Wonder if you can take a screen shot if it would show the issue? It could be possible a corrupted font.

The Windows operating system has a font cache file that is located here: C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT

Delete this file, and restart your system.

pz3shwks

pz3shwks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i deleted the file and restarted, but it didn't help.

pz3shwks

pz3shwks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
here's the best I can do for pictures, sorry for the quality, they were taken with my phone.

As you can see, parts of the letters are black. It doesn't look that bad up close, but I'm about 6 feet away from my monitor/tv, so the glitch makes it illegible.IMAG10071.jpg

pz3shwks

pz3shwks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It appears that this problem only happens when the game is in fullscreen mode. When I put it in windowed mode, the letters are fixed, although as I play around with different resolutions, the letters will begin to become corrupted the higher up i go.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
how are you connected to the tv? through vga, dvi, hdmi, display port? It may make a difference if you switch and see if that helps.

I would also recommend that you check the firmware on your tv for any updates. You may also be able to go into your graphics (under display / adjust desktop size and position). You can change the scaling options there. By changing from display to gpu may help. Unfortunately its going to be trial and more trial till you see some differences.