Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Packard Bell netbook

• Please log in to reply

seniorcit

seniorcit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello
New member so hope I do not break any rules. I can find no suitable topic to pose my question in, which is rather an odd problem, having looked through the general types of queries posted. So possibly somebody can advise me if there is a topic which covers unusal problems which are difficult to caterogise.
Seniorcit

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Seniorcit

Well, we could better tell you where to post if we knew what your problem was. I assume it has to do with your Packard Bell netbook, but I don't know whether to direct you to the Operating System forum, or the hardware forum. Please give us a description of your problem and we'll be happy to help you.

seniorcit

seniorcit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello
problem briefly is Daughter gave mother a Packard Bell netbook type dot zg5, unfortunately Daughter lives in Holland and when she purchased the unit, she loaded the operating system in Dutch (she had a choice of Dutch or English). I would like to know whether it is possible to revert the unit to a 'reboot' state? where it is possible to change O/S to English. It would appear impossible to obtain english users guide which would possibly guide me through the recovery method. Odd problem I am sure.
seniorcit

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what operating system is this?

seniorcit

seniorcit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Bonjour Napoleon
O/S is Windows XP.
seniorcit

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
gah, so it's old.

ok, if you can read dutch enough to do this, go into control panel, and look for regional and language settings (the icon looks like a little globe, there may be more than one little globe though). if this is XP that was originally english, but was transformed into dutch with the microsoft MUI kit, there should be 3 tabs instead of just 2.

if that's the case, the 2nd tab is where you'll get the most things back into english (there are drop downs on that tab, at least one of them should have the word "english" in it) change everything you can find on that tab and the third tab to english, and then press ok and apply and then it will force you to restart.

seniorcit

seniorcit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Napoleon
sorry to say your advice did not work, went through settings looking at another XP O/S to find settings, (have no Dutch). Contacted Daughter in Holland as to how she received the netbook. Appears in the Benelux countries when you purchase a computer you often have the choice at initial startup to select between English or Netherlands. I think that this implies that you cannot alter the O/S language without installing XP from scratch. Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Again thankyou for your kind help.
seniorcit

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's probably a somewhat accurate statement. there are a couple of ways to get XP in a different language, one is with a native language install, the other is with an after the fact MUI install.

the native language install just installs the language you choose so you don't have another language to switch to because they were never installed. the MUI install adds language transformations to a base language install (usually english) so you can uninstall (or just turn off) the MUI stuff and it reverts back to the base language

looks like your was a native language. so you'd have to start over to get back to a different language. the netbook might have a recovery partition or something that you could use to revert the thing back to factory defaults.

seniorcit

seniorcit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Napoleon
Many thanks for your assistance.