Very well done!!
This is my general post for when your logs show no more signs of malware
- Please let me know if you are
still having problems with your computer and what these problems are.
The following procedure will implement some cleanup and update procedures. It will also reset your System Restore
by flushing out previous restore points and create a new restore point. It will also remove all the backups our tools may have made. Finally, I have several recommendations to keep your computer safe and secure.
Any programs and logs that are left over can just be deleted from the desktop. Antivirus Software: Antvirus software is a necessity.
This is your primary line of defense
against the type of malware that has infected your computer. Each of the following products have real-time protection and scheduled scans. Please choose one, install it, update the antivirus database/definitions, and run a complete scan.
These are among the best free antivirus/antispyware products.
* You should never install more than one anti-virus program on a PC
because it will cause conflicts.Firewall:
Without a firewall your computer is succeptible
to being hacked and taken over. Using a firewall will allow you to allow/deny access for applications
that want to go online. Select one of these, or another of your choice:
For the Windows Firewall, just enable by following the directions in the link and for either of the other two, just download and install in the normal/standard configuration.Make your Internet Explorer more secure:
Make Firefox more secure:
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
Please visit this page to explain how to make Firefox more secure - How to Secure FirefoxMake Sure Your Applications Have All of Their Updates:
It is also possible for other programs on your computer to have security vulnerability that can allow malware to infect you. Therefore, it is also a good idea to check for the latest versions of commonly installed applications that are regularly patched to fix vulnerabilities. You can check these by visiting Secunia Software Inspector Turn On Automatic Updates:
To turn on Automatic Updates:
- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
- Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click to select one of the following options. We recommend that you select the Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them
If you click this setting, click to select the day and time for scheduled updates to occur. You can schedule Automatic Updates for any time of day. Remember, your computer must be on at the scheduled time for updates to be installed. After you set this option, Windows recognizes when you are online and uses your Internet connection to find updates on the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site specific to your computer. Updates are downloaded automatically in the background, and you are not interrupted during this process. An icon appears in the notification area of your taskbar when the updates are being downloaded. You can point to the icon to view the download status. To pause or to resume the download, right-click the icon, and then click Pause or Resume. When the download is completed, another message appears in the notification area so that you can review the updates that are scheduled for installation. If you choose not to install at that time, Windows starts the installation on your set schedule.
You can also visit http://www.windowsupdate.com
regularly. This will ensure your computer always has the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.Update Java:
Please download JavaRa
to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder Run JavaRa.exe
, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions
Accept any prompts. Open JavaRa.exe
again and select Search For Updates.
Select Update Using Sun Java's Website
then click Search and click on the Open Webpage
button. Download and install
the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.Update Adobe Reader
Recently there have been vunerabilities detected in older versions of Adobe Reader. It is strongly suggested that you update to the current version. Uninstall all previous versions
.Download the latest version
If you already have Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition installed or do not wish to have it installed UNcheck the box
which says Also Download Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition.
If you do not like Adobe Reader (53 MB), you can download Foxit PDF Reader(7 MB)
. It is a much smaller file to download and uses a lot less resources than Adobe Reader.
Note: When installing FoxitReader
, be careful, do not install
anything to do with AskBar
I recommend the download and installation of some or all of the following programs (all free), and remember
to update them regularly
- WinPatrol As a robust security monitor, WinPatrol will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes a snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge.
- Spyware Blaster - By altering your registry, this program stops harmful sites from installing things like ActiveX Controls on your machine.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - It is a powerful anti-malware tool. It is totally free, but for real-time protection you will have to pay a small one-time fee. We highly recommend this program.
Here is some great reading about how to be safer online:PC Safety and Security - What Do I Need?
and COMPUTER SECURITY
- a short guide to staying safer online from Malware Removal
Keep Safe Please reply
to this post so that I know you have read it. Then if you have no further questions, the thread can be closed
.I Will Keep This Open For About Three Days. If Anything Comes Up
- Just Come Back And Let Me Know, after that time you will have to send me a PM