Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB HD Not Displaying As Removable

• Please log in to reply

ridius

ridius

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Pro 500GB USB Hard drive. I want to be able to use it as a USB Boot drive. So I repartitioned the drive to have an 8GB FAT32 partition and a 457GB NTFS partition (the partitions are in this order). I made sure that the drive performance was set to Quick Removal and I can stop the drives by clicking on the USB icon in System Tray.

My problem is that in Explorer, the devices show up as Hard Drives (right next to C:) and not as removable drives. In order for me to use the USB/DVD tool to install the Windows 8 Preview, the target drive must be recognized as a removable drive.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit (it's an older PC) and Seagate does not provide their own driver for this drive. It is using the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\disk.sys and C:\Windows\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys drivers.

When I try to specify a driver manually, the usbstor.sys driver isn't listed as compatible with my device.

Any ideas on how to get this drive to display as Removable?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The USB/DVD thing for the Windows 8 preview wants access to either a USB stick (pen drive) or a DVD. Not an external hard drive.

In any case, you can't install Windows onto an external hard drive.

ridius

ridius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

In any case, you can't install Windows onto an external hard drive.

Thanks for the info!

I wasn't trying to install Windows onto an external HD. I am trying to put the Windows Installer on the external HD (the same way you can put the Windows 7 Installer on a bootable USB HD). My problem is that my USB HD is not showing up as a removable drive and because of that, the tool I linked to won't recognize it.