Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window Vista : Date was changed back + no internet access

• Please log in to reply

karinchi

karinchi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
So i have a window vista laptop,
it was working fine 4 or 5 days ago when i was at a trip with my family.
Though a while ago it started giving me beeping noise every time i turn on the laptop stating that there's a problem with the AC cord or the charger of the laptop or something, but i ignored it, and it still worked fine for half of a month.
then today when i turned on my laptop after not using it for 3 days, i realized that the internet wasnt working.
sometimes it happens so i thought restarting would do the trick, but not this time.
this time after i restarted, it was still the same old thing, it didnt work.
i began to freak out.

then i noticed that the time was wrong, it was 1:00 AM when it's suppose to be 9:54PM
then i took a closer look, the date was wrong as well, the date was back in 2007,so i changed it back.
but then the internet still didnt work.

i took a look at the window start up menu, and when i click on all programs, all the programs that window vista didnt come with or the ones i downloaded are all highlighted orange, which was how its suppose to be when you first download it.
but all my files were still there, but it said the wireless detecting divice wasnt there...as strange as it sounds first i suspected a virus, but then later i suspected a memory lost? will someone help me?
perhaps some one have a similar situation.?

i dont have internet, nor do i have usb, dvd, or cd >< and really need my laptop because it is consisting of important projects for school. PLEASE HELP ME!

Advertisements

ThomasAnderson

ThomasAnderson

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Open the device manager, right click on my computer--> manage.
Click on the device manager in system tools.
Check in Network adapters, Is your wireless adapter is mentioned there.

If not try to reinstall the driver of your wifi card.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this...

Though a while ago it started giving me beeping noise every time i turn on the laptop stating that there's a problem with the AC cord or the charger of the laptop or something, but i ignored it, and it still worked fine for half of a month.

combined with this..

then i noticed that the time was wrong, it was 1:00 AM when it's suppose to be 9:54PM
then i took a closer look, the date was wrong as well, the date was back in 2007,so i changed it back.

tells me its your cmos battery that needs replacing...about 5 bucks

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I agree with happy rock here is a link explaining. :)

http://www.computerh...es/ch000239.htm