Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible for a hard drive to recover?

• Please log in to reply

jcpwn2004

jcpwn2004

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
So this past week I basically thought my hard drive was toast. It started making the clicking noise, and would crash sometimes when putting it to sleep. A couple days ago my computer didn't recognize the hard drive at all during startup. I went into the bios and it wasn't recognized there either. I figured it was done, but I tried a couple hours later and it started up fine and I backed up all my stuff. The past 2 days or so it's been working, but I'll get the occasional click noise when opening up folders/programs and my computer will basically freeze for about a minute or so. The past 24 hours it's worked fine though. I guess I'm just wondering before I buy a new hard drive if it's possible for a hard drive to get better, or when you hear the clicking noise is it just a matter of time before it dies?

Edited by jcpwn2004, 01 March 2012 - 03:56 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi jcpwn2004
What you describe is commonly known as the click of death, wise move backing up your data :thumbsup:

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;

Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive. http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba then unfortunately you're out of luck because Toshiba do not provide a diagnostic tool so try the Hitachi or Seatools.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
There are various factors which can cause a drive to work or fail, such as the temperature. While it might work for a while, the signs that you mentioned indicate that it most likely will not continue to work nor continue to work reliably. Unless you can determine it was something else causing the problem, like the power supply, fan (over-heating), cable, etc., I would not trust the drive.

jcpwn2004

jcpwn2004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Hi jcpwn2004
What you describe is commonly known as the click of death, wise move backing up your data :thumbsup:

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;

Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive. http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba then unfortunately you're out of luck because Toshiba do not provide a diagnostic tool so try the Hitachi or Seatools.

Thank you for the response. So with this tool basically tell me the state of my drive?

There are various factors which can cause a drive to work or fail, such as the temperature. While it might work for a while, the signs that you mentioned indicate that it most likely will not continue to work nor continue to work reliably. Unless you can determine it was something else causing the problem, like the power supply, fan (over-heating), cable, etc., I would not trust the drive.

I don't think temperature is an issue. I think all my cables and power supply are ok. I made a short vid, do you think it's basically just my hard drive?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I would say that most likely it is the disk. You can test the drive, as mentioned, which might give you more information. As I said, I would not trust the disk to keep working.

The temperature aspect also includes working when it is cold, not just that it is hot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
HDD test result please!