Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this SFF build ready to go?

• Please log in to reply

Printer66

Printer66

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Basically, what I'm looking for is to be able to view anything HD (photos/videos) smoothly at full 1080, and to be able to use e-mail and social networking sites on my tv.
Here is what I came up with: http://www.amazon.co.../R3PH6B7MD4WRPO
I would just like to know if these parts would play nice together. Note, that I haven't decided on SSD vs. HDD.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
A couple of things. Note you really need to do some more homework. Do not believe everything you read on Amazon. Go right to the source, check the specifications and download the manuals before buying. For example, that case is a µATX case, and a slim one at that. Note Silverstone shows here that case stands 105mm in height - that's just over 4 inches, including the footpads (the Amazon page says 7 inches tall! :(). That Cooler Master cooler is 4.1 inches tall, and must sit on top of the CPU, which sits on top of the CPU socket which sits on top of the motherboard which sit on top of case standoffs. No way will that cooler fit inside that case. Besides that, note the AMD CPU Warranty is crystal clear:

"This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."

Understand because both AMD and Intel warranty their boxed processors that come with OEM fans as "a unit", and because neither company wants to replace the fan or CPU during the 3-year warranty period, they provide excellent coolers with their CPUs.

Also according to the specs on that case, it supports "low profile" expansions cards. That is not a "low profile" sound card. But also note that motherboard has 8 channel (7.1) surround-sound built in.

Fortunately, that graphics card has a low profile bracket adapter.

I don't see an operating system listed. A common mistake is some users assume they can use their old Windows license on a new computer. Understand only a "boxed" full Retail license can be transferred to a new computer (or upgraded motherboard). It is illegal to use an OEM license that came with or was purchased for one computer on another computer. A disk “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a new PC (or upgraded motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment". So if that is the case, I recommend 64-bit Windows 7 or one of the many free Linux alternatives. Just ensure it is 64-bit since you have selected 8Gb of RAM.

Printer66

Printer66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, many thanks for the helpful advice (will probably make a donation). I thought it was funny, that there was no indication of a height limit from SilverStone on Coolers. However, now that I know that the APU includes one, I'll stick with that to avoid warranty problems. I chose a new taller case, which according to SilverStone, is ~ 6.5 in. tall. I realize, that I forgot to mention that I really have no budget, as long as I don't spend more than I have to to get what I need. Also, I changed a few other parts, to cut thew price, and for compatibility reasons. I think I'll go with the integrated audio option. If I had realized it was 7.1, I wouldn't have bothered with the Audigy.
http://www.amazon.co.../R3PH6B7MD4WRPO

Once again, thanks for all the advice.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I thought it was funny, that there was no indication of a height limit from SilverStone on Coolers.

I don't. The case already has to support 100s of motherboards, expansion cards, and power supplies as determined by the ATX (and in this case, µATX) Form Factor [industry] standards. It also has to support "expected" coolers from the many CPUs (from both AMD and Intel) those 100s of motherboards support. It is hardly fair to case makers to be expected to address the hundreds of unknown "non-standard" aftermarket coolers a user might "customize" their system with.

Why are you getting those low-profile brackets?

I still don't see an OS.