Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help computer wont start now!

• Please log in to reply

disciple

disciple

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone, just to let everyone know, im not an expert but a newbie enthusiast. I just built my first computer, specs are:

Intel P4 3.0 Ghz Northwood
Asus P4C800-E Delux Mobo
2 x 512 Mb Crucial DDR
200 Gig seagate SATA HD
Nvidia XFX GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB DDR3 AGP

So my problem is that I have built my first computer, and today I recieved the last two pieces I needed to complete the build. I got my video card and my monitor in the mail from Newegg.com. No problem, insert the video card to the AGP slot in the MOBO, hook the monitor up and press the power key. Presto everything is working great except for one thing. The Video card has a 4 pin power connector, so i plug in power to this thing from my psu and start the computer back up, but the monitor is blank. So I shut down, unplug the power from the video card and start back up. PERFECT its working again, so I begin installing windows and formatting the drive, its all working fine. I install my drivers for the motherboard, the sound devices but the its time to install drivers for the video card. I get the drivers installed and restart the computer and after booting up and getting into windows it tells me that my video card has insufficient power and it drops my video settings. So shut down, plug power back into the video card and start back up....what a surprise ;) NO VIDEO AGAIN!!! But the speaker from the computer says that Im trying to OC my processor?!?!?!?! :tazz: ;) When in reality I havent done ANYTHING in the BIOS to OC my processor. So I shut back down, disconnect power from the video card and try to start back up, only now the computer wont start. So I turn off the PSU and wait for about 10 seconds. I turn the PSU back on and hit power, and for a brief second everything turns on then immediately dies. I have done this over and over and over. I have tried everything I know...Im wondering if the MOBO or the CPU is fried. :) I dont know what to do, any pointers? I really hope I didnt drop a bunch of money on a paper weight. :)

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
some newer video cards need more power then others to run so try upgrading power supply. First try getting a new video card at best buy or circuit city. If it works you can keep it if not just return it. worth a try to see if it is the vid card or the mobo

disciple

disciple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
UPDATE: Well I think i know whats going on kind of. The computer will boot to bios as long as a i dont have my Hard drive connected. I have tried 3 power supplies and they all do the same thing (They all work) but for some reason as long as my HD has power going to it from the psu it will not start. Is my HD Fried?

By the way I did test the HD in another computer and it works fine.

Edited by disciple, 03 June 2005 - 05:14 PM.

Pa1n

Pa1n

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

UPDATE:  Well I think i know whats going on kind of.  The computer will boot to bios as long as a i dont have my Hard drive connected.  I have tried 3 power supplies and they all do the same thing (They all work) but for some reason as long as my HD has power going to it from the psu it will not start.  Is my HD Fried?

By the way I did test the HD in another computer and it works fine.

View Post

your prolly having that ghey sata driver issue, which is your mobo is not recognizing hard drive beacuse you probly didnt load the sata drivers for hd when u installed windows

Edited by Pa1n, 03 June 2005 - 05:35 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Have you tried clearing the bios to reset everything to default settings? (remember to unplug power lead & disconnect the atx connector to the mobo first, then clear bios using jumper for 10secs or more, reconnect atx connector & then power lead)

Also, what PSU are you using (ie brand name & wattage)?

disciple

disciple

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone thanks so much for all the helpful hints. Yeah I tried resetting bios witht he jumpers and it didnt really help but i found that it was a bad data cable running from the HD to the MOBO. I replaced the PSU (was using a silverstone zues 520 watt) cant really say that I trusted that PSU anyway, so I went out and bought an antec Neopower 480 watt. Everything is running great now. Again, thanks everyone for the help.

P.S. Asus tech support sucks, dont even bother calling if you have a problem, i think they have one tech in a paying position LOL, but I cant say that I blame them, MOBOs are a pretty complex component being sold to just anyone(not everyone has an A+ cert, or has worked in IT)

Cheers!!! :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Glad to hear its all working now. Thanks for letting us know what the problem was in the end. :tazz: