Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup issues

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I have an issue where I start my pc with my internet key plugged in and it freezes on a blank screen. I have to take the key out and manually shut down my pc and restart it to get to logon screen.

This also happens randomly - some days it just starts with the key in and other days it doesnt like the key in and goes to the blank screen.

Why is it random - thats my question? if the settings are all the same then why does it happen randomly instead of blocking me or just starting every time? Why is it random?

Advertisements

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Had this message pop up yesterday and wonder if it has anything to do with it:http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

My question is why is it showing 8 usb ports when I only have 3?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
whats on the usb flash drive...
get a screenshot of the device manger showing your 8 usb ports and post it back here for us

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Snapshot of what I am seeing attached:

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I started this thread about a startup issue where the pc starts without the usb device plugged in and sometimes it starts with it in.

I also have issues with speed on this same device.

I have posted the picture in the hope it may be connected to my issues with this device.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
So that my colleague happyrock will be better placed to help when he comes back to you

May I point out that you missed this request from him

whats on the usb flash drive

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
nothing, its a wireless modem from virgin which fits into a usb port on my pc

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks mac...
for starters don't plug in the usb wireless adapter until your completely booted...

all those ports are related to a usb hub and its on the mobo...in a tower there are pci adapters that you can plug in to add more ports to the rear of the tower...if its a laptop you can buy a usb adapter that plugs into one of the posts on the laptop and the adapter will add from 2 to 7 more usb ports you can use...
there is one thing to keep in mind...a printer needs its own port...they don't play well with others...if you try connecting it thru one of those adapters you can have all kinds of issues
there may be 1 of the 3 ports you have is a usb 2.0 or a 3.0 if your computer is new...
the message saying the device can perform faster just means the place you are plugging it into does not support the faster speed...try all 3 of the posts until you find the one that doesn't show the error or just use it as it is as long as your not having any problem with the device the slower speeds don't really matter except when transferring data to a usb flash drive or external usb hard drive...even then it will work but it will take longer to get done

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Thanks for quick response.

So are you saying that before every time I boot up, I have to take my device out and then once booted up plug it back in?

My first comment on that is that it never used to affect it before - why now?

My second comment is that the port/device socket will wear out if there is daily plugging and unplugging - surely there is another way? How is it that other friends pc's dont have this problem and they are plugged constantly?

It is a laptop with only 3 usb ports/plug holes but I am not asking to know how to add external ports - I know how to do that and have such a hub. I dont use it as I dont need it.

I will try to place the device in another port then.

Is there a way of cleaning up the usb port mess - like leftover from other programs devices etc?

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Is this a hard issue to resolve? Surely somebody here knows how to fix it - is it that hard?

Edited by ding dong, 08 September 2012 - 05:37 PM.