Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to set Vista Parental Controls for one user account

• Please log in to reply

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Well, I tried to run VEW again, but still got Runtime Error 75. As for the rest of your last post, regarding the chkdsk, I was a little confused. Is there something else you wanted me to do? I'm not trying to be difficult, I just didn't understand what you were asking of me.
Also, should I follow the suggestions of the above reply from rockmilk? I typically don't follow suggestions from anyone other than g2g techs. If you think it would help though, I will gladly do it.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Your chkdsk results were dated 14.12.2011
So either the system time and date are wrong OR it was the wrong chkdsk results
If it is the system time settings, see taskbar right hand corner.
Then it certainly needs correcting and is usually caused by a flat CMOS battery
If it is simply an earlier chkdsk results, then we could do with the correct results

Re the post from my colleague rockmilk the domain name server is a form of control - family shield from Open DNS

http://www.opendns.c...ental-controls/

The cause of the inability to set the parental controls, may indeed be a registry issue.
Providing you ensure that you create a restore point and backup the registry - it MAY solve the problem.

I am NOT evading your direct question, but unfortunately there is no direct answer.
Although all of us at Geeks to Go agree on the basics etc, many of us have are own approaches to issues and some of us do not like some possibles fixes, whereas others do.

I have NOT used the program rockmilk suggested, so I cannot say YES it is the way forward, and neither would it be correct for me to tell you NOT to use it.

I am sorry if this sounds unhelpful.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Sorry here is the link for the open DNS info.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Not at all. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't getting bad info. I hope I didn't offend anyone.
As for the chkdsk, I'm not sure what went wrong there. The time and date are correct on the pc as far as I can tell. I will run it again and post soon.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well as I said it is if the system time and date are correct the results of an earlier check disk

On that link I have sent you on post 32 you will see that there are two option both Free but you have to sign up.
One is Family Shield that blocks adult sites and one is more equatable to parental controls - OpenDns Home, I do not have knowledge of the OpenDns in this regard
Other than of course your internet is routed through their DNS Domain Name server.

It is the site for which my colleague rockmilk has sent you the information link in post 33.

and NO you caused no offence whatsoever