Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD & ntkrnlpa.exe

• Please log in to reply

obrien.james

obrien.james

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I recently decided to revive an old computer that I had lying around. It is a Dell Dimension E520. I have put a brand new 500gb WD Caviar Green, Sapphire Radeon HD5450 (1gb) Addon Wireless PCI networking card (NWP210) and 2gb of DDR2 800MHz of ram in.

I have installed a fresh copy of windows 7 professional, but am constantly getting BSOD's which report ntkrnlpa.exe as the 'cased by driver' (using BlueScreenView) - I am getting 3 different error codes causing the BSOD's (at different times) - 0x0a or 0x4e or 0x1a

I am a little confused as to what is going on and would really appreciate any help that anyone can give. I cannot predict when they will happen and occur to me as random.

Below is the breakdowns of the 3 BSOD that I have had today:
==================================================
Dump File : 030412-21013-01.dmp
Crash Time : 04/03/2012 19:03:39
Bug Check String : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code : 0x0000000a
Parameter 1 : 0x00076ce0
Parameter 2 : 0x00000002
Parameter 3 : 0x00000001
Parameter 4 : 0x82aa4cc0
Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+415fb
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.17713 (win7sp1_gdr.111025-1505)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+415fb
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+5ecc0
Stack Address 2 : ntkrnlpa.exe+18c44f
Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+208fda
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\030412-21013-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 144,472

Dump File : 030412-25412-01.dmp
Crash Time : 04/03/2012 12:26:06
Bug Check String : PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug Check Code : 0x0000004e
Parameter 1 : 0x00000002
Parameter 2 : 0x0008d74d
Parameter 3 : 0x000bfe50
Parameter 4 : 0x00000003
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+deef4
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+deef4
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+8dcd2
Stack Address 2 : ntkrnlpa.exe+74f74
Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+75ab0
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\030412-25412-01.dmp

Dump File : 030412-22744-01.dmp
Crash Time : 04/03/2012 10:59:54
Bug Check String : MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug Check Code : 0x0000001a
Parameter 1 : 0x00008884
Parameter 2 : 0x84854ee8
Parameter 3 : 0x848be5cc
Parameter 4 : 0x00000502
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+deef4
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+deef4
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+c51ac
Stack Address 2 : ntkrnlpa.exe+28d2d
Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+27ff42
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\030412-22744-01.dmp

If you need any more information please let me know,

I really will appreciate any help that anyone can give

James

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi obrien.james ... :wave: ..:welcome:

check the device manager for any yellow ! or ? marks...
is the ram compatible with your mobo...you can check at crucial memory tester here
are both sticks of ram the exact same size and speed and made by the same manufacture
test your ram using memtest86...Ver 4.0a - Windows (zip) ISO image for creating bootable CD from here

download and install WhoCrashed from http://www.softpedia...oCrashed.shtml' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>here..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...

if you get a message
This software requires the right version of Windows Debugging Tools for your type of computer. Because this is not normally installed and is not redistributable, we suggest you select the download option from below. Then the right package will be downloaded to a temporary folder and the required files will be extracted from the package automatically. You only need to do this once
click on download then try running it again

WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

the manual in PDF form is here...

obrien.james

obrien.james

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Happyrock,

Thanks for the quick reply, I haven't had chance to download and run memtest86 as I do not have any blank CD's. When I get some I will sort this out. On the specification page of the Dell e520 site it says that the 2gb (2x1gb DDR2 800MHz --> both of which are the same speed and manufacturer) of ram is compatible (and as a double check offer this ram as a compatible upgrade on their site.

Initially I did have 3gb (2x1gb and 2x 512mb) which were at different speeds - but have removed to slower 512's and have only had 1 BSOD since doing this.

Below is the WhoCrashed Report:

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: JAMES-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2145300480 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1982144512

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 04/03/2012 19:02:41 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030412-21013-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x415FB)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x76CE0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF82AA4CC0)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 04/03/2012 19:02:41 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!Kei386EoiHelper+0x29D3)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x76CE0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF82AA4CC0)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
Google query: ntkrpamp.exe IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Sun 04/03/2012 12:25:00 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030412-25412-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xDEEF4)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x2, 0x8D74D, 0xBFE50, 0x3)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 04/03/2012 10:58:21 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030412-22744-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: symevent.sys (SYMEVENT+0x1708F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x8884, 0xFFFFFFFF84854EE8, 0xFFFFFFFF848BE5CC, 0x502)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\symevent.sys
product: SYMEVENT
company: Symantec Corporation
description: Symantec Event Library
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symevent.sys (Symantec Event Library, Symantec Corporation).
Google query: symevent.sys Symantec Corporation MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

On Fri 02/03/2012 23:35:39 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030212-29078-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x92F30)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x7, 0x7047A, 0xAB0D9, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Fri 02/03/2012 23:17:36 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030212-42073-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x2B, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF82AB5E74)

On Thu 01/03/2012 07:14:54 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030112-21028-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFFFF83BFFFEC, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF82ADEF1B)

On Wed 29/02/2012 13:19:31 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022912-37658-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x98BD0)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF82B7A3A8, 0x6CE2D, 0x0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 29/02/2012 01:38:54 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022912-20872-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: symevent.sys (SYMEVENT+0x1708F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x8884, 0xFFFFFFFF84854EE8, 0xFFFFFFFF84B66500, 0x502)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\symevent.sys
product: SYMEVENT
company: Symantec Corporation
description: Symantec Event Library
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: symevent.sys (Symantec Event Library, Symantec Corporation).
Google query: symevent.sys Symantec Corporation MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Conclusion

9 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

symevent.sys (Symantec Event Library, Symantec Corporation)

ntkrpamp.exe

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also here is the specification of my initial machine before I updated some components:
E520 Spec

Is it possible for a PSU failure to cause these errors?

Thank you once again for the reply

James

Edited by obrien.james, 05 March 2012 - 01:18 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you only had 1 crash since removing mismatched ram...when was that...
also lets try removing norton as it was /is a contributor to the system crashes...
first go here and download MSE...but do not install it until you run the norton removal tool from here...after uninstalling norton reboot and install Microsoft Security Essentials immediately

obrien.james

obrien.james

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Happyrock,

Thanks for the reply

I removed the mismatched ram at about 4:30ish pm on sunday and then at 7pm that evening I crashed again.
Since then the system was running smoother, and yesterday the computer was on from 6:30pm and running fine then crashed at about 11:10 in the evening with a 0xbe code blaming symantec event library followed by a 0x4e 10 minutes later.

Just to keep you up to date, today my machine has been running smoothly so far, and I have tried re-seating the ram as suggested somewhere on the internet.

I will remove Norton and install MSE and keep you posted; if I get a BSOD I will post again.

Thanks again

James

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
come back even if you don't crash and let us know... :cool:

obrien.james

obrien.james

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I thought that I would report back. My machine has been a lot more stable. It has crashed only twice since my last post:

On Thu 22/03/2012 18:34:05 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt+0x4166B)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x28, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF82CBAE64)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
Google query: ntkrpamp.exe IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Mon 19/03/2012 00:47:38 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\031912-17815-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x8509A)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41287, 0x390A3, 0x0, 0x0)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

The latest one was whilst I was running CHKDSK on another doggy hard drive, and the one before was when I was running a full scan using security essentials.

Im not sure if anything can be one about these, but am a lot happier.

Thanks for all your help, and if you have any more ideas please let me know

James

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go into the bios and set it to default or safe settings
nojoy...
you could try testing the ram again using memtest86...

also try reinstalling your chipset drivers