Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dodgy internet connection

• Please log in to reply

Naraelina

Naraelina

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I run windows 7 on a bottom range computer. I am with bigpond/telstra as my internet provider with a modem/router combo.
My computer doesn't have a wireless setting but I have bought a top of the range plug-in wireless adapter, which goes in a USB slot. When connected to the network the signal is strong at all times- between 4&5/5 bars.

We have been in this set up for a year in our last place and 6 months in our new place without any troubles.

Recently however, My internet connection has been 'screwy'. When i boot up my computer it say I am connected to the network with internet access, yet I cannot access the internet through ANY of my programs. I have to flash the modem/router (turn it off for 5-10 seconds before turning it back on) before anything will connect to the internet.
I have the solution but it is getting very frustrating to have to do it every time!

I also play WoW with Ventrilo (VoiP software) at the same time and my ping keeps dropping so low I get completely disconnected randomly in low intensity areas. It hasn't ever happened before now.

Are there any suggestions or tips to fix these problems?

Advertisements

Cotutor

Cotutor

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
Based on the fact that you can power cycle the modem and it solves the problem this sounds very much like the modem is the problem. Is it supplied by your ISP? or did you purchase it? If supplied, contact them and find out if they have a firmware upgrade and if that doesn't solve it, then ask for a replacement.
If it's yours, then try the firmware upgrades from manufacturer first, but after that you may have to purchase a new one.

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hi Naraelina, Welcome to Geeks to Go,

I would like to add an idea. Your problems started when you moved house. The exact same thing happened to my parents a couple of months after moving into a new home. They began having connection problems, very much like yours, which I traced to a new phone they had bought. A hands free model which was causing an intermittent interference.I placed the router so that it was higher than the phone unit and that solved it! Cordless phones transmit the same frequency as wireless signals, 5ghz. Microwave ovens also interfere with wireless at 2.4ghz. Seeing as you are in a new home have you bought anything new like this? or moved your phone? I just wanted you to check for something simple first, before spending money or calling an engineer.

Edited by Nutloaf, 05 March 2012 - 05:38 PM.