Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking CPU

• Please log in to reply

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have read the "how to overclock" file and i want to overclock my CPU,i have an Pentium Dual-Core E2140 witch runs at 1.60ghz, i want to overclock it to 1.80ghz ,tops 2ghz. my motherboard is a GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-945GCM-S2C. it has an "overclock CPU function" in bios but i don't want to do anything stupid (well,not stupider then trying to overclock a CPU) so i ask you kind people for an opinion,should i do it or not,and if yes,how to. Thanks.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am not a fan of overclocking so my advice is don't - at least not until you become an expert at cooling and heat management. Before overclocking, do you have a good supply of RAM? Have you upgraded your graphics solution? Are you monitoring your temps?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree with Digerati on this topic. I have never been a fan of OC'ing and find it useless for the increase you get. You are in reality forcing a component to run faster then it was originally intended to do which also will shorten the life of that component considerably.
The difference in your native and your OC speed will not be enough in my opinion to justify the heat issues you will encounter. .20 to .40 ghz faster is in reality maybe a second at best faster. You would be much better to purchase a faster CPU at 2.2 or 2.4GHZ and running it at native speed.
What is the reason for wanting to OC?

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
most games ask for a minimum of 1.8ghz and i don't have the money to buy a decent cpu, so i want to make the best of what i got, but still,all works fine,i just wanted to know how and why.
well,RAM i have 1.5gb and video card NVidia 8400gs @ 1gb/64bit

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, the "why" is often just for bragging rights in the same light as getting fancy new wheels for your car, or a turbocharger. While it is absolutely true you can increase the performance of the CPU by overclocking it but comes it comes at the risk of overheating and system stability. An unstable computer will suddenly freeze, shutdown or reboot - potentially corrupting a hard drive. Performance gains are often only realized (except by placebo effect) with benchmarking programs. And any truly perceptible performance gain typically comes from extreme overclocking, and risks.

The risks are not just to the CPU either - pretty much the whole computer. This is why it is critical you monitor temperatures for CPU and System (usually the chipset) if you overclock, even a little. And it is critical to keep the interior clean of heat trapping dust.

Note it is typically the motherboard makers, review sites, and computer enthusiasts who make a big deal about overclocking. Not the CPU makers - even among most gamers. In fact, if you check Intel and AMD warranties, they both say using abnormal voltages - that is, operating voltages that are not in the published data sheet for that CPU violates the terms of the CPU warranty. This is similar to Chevrolet won't replace your new Corvette engine if you blew it up drag racing at the track.

Having said all that, if the interior is clean, you have lots of front-to-back air flow through the case, your PSU has plenty of headroom, and you constantly monitor your temps, then for the "how" I suggest the QuickBoost feature in Gigabyte's EasyTune program that came with your motherboard - and no higher than level 2. ESPECIALLY if this computer is needed for other things or users for school, work, email, photos, banking, etc.

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks,i'll check out the Easy Tune,but that's it, thank you for the support. I'm gonna save money to buy and CPU in the next 4 months or so. Thank you, a lot.

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I installed the "easy tune" and for some reason the "quick boost" button is not there,so i'm not changing anything,i's going to work just fine the way it is.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You click on the "Tuner" tab in EasyTune to access QuickBoost.

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I saw the "help" section,it's not there, just 'easy' and 'advanced'

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Your EasyTune does not look like this?

EasyTune.JPG

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
like this it looks

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.PNG

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hmmm, interesting. My guess then would be the EasyTune options depends on the Chipset option your specific Gigabyte board supports.

In any case your system is working so I think you are wise to just leave it.

Hendrix Dude

Hendrix Dude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
true that, i can play skyrim and mafia 2 on high graphics,so im cool,i cannot play however gta IV, at all. i'm ok anwho