Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

perfect freeware combination?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
I just got a old laptop from a friend Im going to use untill my desktop is fixed. I noticed it has no security programs installed on it all.Whats the perfect combination of security freeware for XP?
Please & thank you

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi saraveza408,

Please see the Anti-Virus and Firewall applications on this page. They are free programs.

For Anti-Virus, GeeksToGo recommends Microsoft Security Essentials.
Make sure you read the important note under the Antivirus software section about uninstalling any other antivirus software before installing a new one. Antivirus programs, sadly, do a poor job of completely uninstalling themselves and this is one of the biggest reasons a new antivirus program will not install and/or run properly.
I would suggest looking looking in the Add/Remove programs list to make sure that there aren't any AV's there. Also check the msconfig file to make sure there aren't any still trying to start. And check the C:\Windows\Program Files folder to see if there are any AV folders/files left there.

The Firewalls offer outbound and inbound monitoring/protection whereas the Windows firewall only has inbound protection. If you choose one of these firewalls, they should make sure that the windows firewall is turned off as part of the installation. But it's never a bad idea to check for yourself and turn the Windows firewall off before installing another firewall.

Just pick your poison, download and install.

Hope this helps.
godawgs