Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Drivers After Reinstallation

• Please log in to reply

Alaka Zam

Alaka Zam

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys,

I reinstalled Windows XP and cannot connect to WiFi now -- Ethernet Controller, Network Control, PCI Device drivers are missing. I've listed my system above. There are no details listed in the Device Manager that shows which drivers I need to download. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but could anyway help point me to which drivers I should download? If you need more information about my pc, please let me know. Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would help if you could supply system specs for us to work off of.
Is this a branded system like HP, Compaq or Dell?
If so what is the make and model?
Is this a laptop or desktop?
If not branded then we would need to know the make and model of the motherboard.

Alaka Zam

Alaka Zam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there, sorry about that, I thought I added that info to the post when I signed up.

Ok, so it's a desktop, Windows XP Home 2002 Edition, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHz. It's not branded -- but I don't know how to identify the motherboard? Thank you agian!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download CPUz from my signature below

[1:] Save it to your desktop.
[2:] Click on the icon it creates and let it run
[3:] I need the following information from it.
[4:] First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
[5:] Click on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
[6:] Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.
Please include in your next reply

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also it has been pointed out that you only have SP2 installed and need to update that to SP3 but I'm not sure if the missing driver is causing you not to have access on this system right now.

Alaka Zam

Alaka Zam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok! Here it is:

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Model: D915GAG
Type: DDR
Size: 1280 MBytes
Max Bandwidth: PC3200 (200MHz)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE last driver on first page is the Intel Pro nic driver. Try that one and see if it works.
You will have to put your OS in the box on the right to get the right drivers to show up.

Alaka Zam

Alaka Zam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there, when I try to install it it says "A newer version of Intel PROSet for Windows Device Manager is installed on this computer. Before using this installation program, you must remove the current version." Should I remove it? And if so, how? Thank you

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK are you using the system that the problem is on to respond here or is it a different system?
Is your internet WiFi or hard wired?? Please do the following and post the requested screenshot.

Please Go to

1: START and the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Alaka Zam

Alaka Zam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there,

I'm on my laptop connected through wifi. My desktop downstairs is hard-wired and has the router and modem set up at it, but the desktop that we're working on now will only be wifi.

Attached Files

Edited by Alaka Zam, 06 March 2012 - 01:45 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is the only driver I see for that motherboard.
Right click on the nic adapter in Device manager and then click on uninstall or delete, Then reboot and see if it will find it on its own.
The other question is if the onboard nic card is enabled or not in the bios.

Alaka Zam

Alaka Zam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I unistalled it, then rebooted. It said "new hardware found" and asked if I would like to let Windows find the driver. That's as far as it got. I tried installing the driver you linked to again, but it says there's a newer version of that driver on the system still.

I'm in BIOS. Under Peripheral Config everything is enabled including onboard LAN but I don't see anything for "network control/nic card".

Alaka Zam

Alaka Zam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hmm, I think we had wifi installed later on after purchasing this pc... so it's not part of the motherboard. However, I can't see a model number or brand or anything on it.

ETA - Just remembered my sister got a matching pc along with me. Asked her to check and under Network Adapters it says:

D-Link
Intel PRO/1000 PM Network Connection

Edited by Alaka Zam, 06 March 2012 - 02:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'm in BIOS. Under Peripheral Config everything is enabled including onboard LAN but I don't see anything for "network control/nic card".

They are the same thing actually.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep same driver I linked to but apparently it is on the motherboard drivers disk you should have gotten since the system was custom built. I am beginning to think that you may have a faulty nic card. Is it built on the motherboard or is it a separate card?