Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Word 2007 Numbered List Problem

• Please log in to reply

rphox2003

rphox2003

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I created a template over a year ago that I have been using without problem - until now. One of my styles is a numbered list that I use to write steps in a procedure. (I'm a technical writer.) Until today everything was fine.

Now when I begin a new section and select the style for steps, instead of starting at number 1, the numbering continues from the previous list - even if it is in a different chapter. If I right-click the para and select Restart at 1, the indentation decreases for that paragraph only! The next para (step 2) is indented at the style's defined point.

Further, I've noticed that when I access the style definitions, the numbering library has nothing selected. And every time I select a number style, Word refuses to save it. That is, I save it but if I go right back into the style, there is no numbering selected.

Any help?

Advertisements