Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling Issues

• Please log in to reply

Ivyiris

Ivyiris

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please help! My computer crashed whilst installing an update for my Vodafone Mobile Connect. I have tried to remove with the original disc which didn't work and neither has via the 'Programs & Features' area in the Control Panel. I get error 1722, which states a problem with the Windows Installer Package.
Im at a loss what to do??
Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Please help! My computer crashed whilst installing an update for my Vodafone Mobile Connect. I have tried to remove with the original disc which didn't work and neither has via the 'Programs & Features' area in the Control Panel. I get error 1722, which states a problem with the Windows Installer Package.
Im at a loss what to do??
Thank you in advance.

Hey there Ivyiris,

As far as I know Vodafone Mobile Connect has 2 versions, the one that comes on the disk and one that it pre-installed onto your modem. It sounds like during the update installation when you PC crashed the files didn't get copied over properly or there are several missing, removing the program should solve this problem but you have mentioned not being able to find it in "Programs & Features", I would recommend just looking through that list one more time as like I said there are two different versions (If the naming doesn't come up look for similar icons to Vodafone and you can even post back the application names and I will verify them for you).
I would request you to send me an uninstall list if you are not sure, you can generate a list using Hijackthis (I am not using the tool for malware removal, simply getting an uninstall list).

You can download Hijackthis here:
http://www.geekstogo...ro-hijack-this/

Generating Uninstall List:
> Open Hijackthis
> Click "Open the Misc Tools Section" button
> Click on "Open Uninstall Manager..." button
> Then Click the "Save list..." button
> Save the file to your desktop (You may delete this file afterwards)
> Copy and paste the contents of the file into your next reply

NOTE: Try NOT to touch any of the other options as they can have negative effects on your overall system if not used correctly.
Also take note that you do NOT have to generate this list for me, if you are sure that the program is not in the list that's fine :)

Before you do the above steps, it's quite possible that there are some files sitting in your temporary files folder which is hindering the installation from continuing. I would recommend clearing out your temporary folders, you may use this tool here:
http://www.geekstogo.../15-cleanup-40/

I would of recommend CCleaner which cleans a few other things out of registry too that could be causing this problem (Doubtful) but is a little more complicated (Unless you willing to take time going through different options and selecting what suits your needs [NOTE: CCleaner can clear stored password and you will loose them)

If that still doesn't work, go check out if there are any left over files inside your Program Files folder relating to the Vodafone Modem Software and delete that folder. Before you delete anything or make any drastic changes, I would recommend you notify me of what exactly it is you want to delete in-case you remove the wrong folder or files.

If those still don't work I would recommend trying to install from the inverse medium you originally installed from. So if you installed the software from the disk, try install the pre-installation software from the Modem itself. You can even go as far as going to your local Vodafone shop and getting a free disk with the upgraded firmware and drivers.

I'm hoping that one of these methods will work, I have my hopes on the removal of temporary files might fix the issue. But if none of these work or you have any issue with any of them, let me know and will try provide more support and assist with any problems along the way.

Peace Out :cool:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Secondly the program you link to for cleaning temp files has not been updated in 4 years. We use TFC now to get rid of the temp files that you are mentioning.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Sorry about that rshaffer,

I should of done my research first... It's been awhile since I've tried to help out here so tried to recommend the first cleaning tool that GTG had in there recommends list. I personally use CCleaner for temp file removal and cache clearing, but I now see

TFC seems to be the exact tool for the job.

Sweet

Peace Out :cool:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ccleaner will do the job also but if members are not use to it they can do more harm then good. That is why we use TFC since it is specifically made for temp file removal.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 29 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.