Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus scanners detect my game :(

• Please log in to reply

ACher91

ACher91

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
So, I made a lil' game in C++. It runs from a .exe. Problem is, something like 81% of virus scanners detect it as a virus: https://www.virustot...sis/1330914284/

I can run it fine on my own computer so it's not really THAT big of a problem yet, but... this looks like a real obstacle to deployment. Anytime I send it to someone, their antivirus catches it and destroys it. :( It makes me sad.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

So, I made a lil' game in C++. It runs from a .exe. Problem is, something like 81% of virus scanners detect it as a virus: https://www.virustot...sis/1330914284/

I can run it fine on my own computer so it's not really THAT big of a problem yet, but... this looks like a real obstacle to deployment. Anytime I send it to someone, their antivirus catches it and destroys it. :( It makes me sad.

Hey ACher,

That's weird that that's been happening... I can think of a few things that might be causing this problem, lets start with most basic.

Have you copied any of the code from like an online source? Maybe full classes or objects you downloaded to make use of 1 or more functions?
Are you accessing any parts of memory that you shouldn't be (You've handled memory correctly?) ? Any code that may come across as malicious? Eg. Deleting saved games (Keyword "Delete").
It might be something that seems suspicious in your game that these anti-viruses utilize heuristic analysis on your game.
Have you considered that you, yourself is infected with a virus and it attaches itself to your program at compile time?
Back to the memory aspect, are you using any directX controls?

And did I see the size of the file correctly at virustotal? 1,4mb or 14mb, either way that's extremely small.... Is it a text based game? ... Still though, it's hard to exactly tell what's up without viewing any source code? If you'd like I wouldn't mind going through some of the code you have and seeing if there's anything fishy...

Peace Out :cool:

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
The extent of my copying code online is like, 2 or 3 lines in some places, for loops to do certain things, like parse strings and whatnot; no full classes or anything.

Handling memory incorrectly can cause this..? So you're saying that this could be due to memory leaks? :( Sigh, those can be so hard to catch. It's never crashed due to lack of memory before... I suppose it's possible I may have missed something. And no, I don't modify any external files with it or anything like that—the only "delete"ing I do is with the reserved word to clean up dynamically created objects. Although, it does read from a png file for its graphics. Could that be it? :/

I reeeaally don't think I'm infected. Scans of my computer don't turn up anything. Plus, I've made a simple hello world program to test this and sent it to one of my friends, and it ran with no problems.

are you using any directX controls?

Don't know whatcha mean by this...

And yeah, it's 1.4MB. It's a 2D rougelike rpg. :P

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

The extent of my copying code online is like, 2 or 3 lines in some places, for loops to do certain things, like parse strings and whatnot; no full classes or anything.

Handling memory incorrectly can cause this..? So you're saying that this could be due to memory leaks? :( Sigh, those can be so hard to catch. It's never crashed due to lack of memory before... I suppose it's possible I may have missed something. And no, I don't modify any external files with it or anything like that—the only "delete"ing I do is with the reserved word to clean up dynamically created objects. Although, it does read from a png file for its graphics. Could that be it? :/

I reeeaally don't think I'm infected. Scans of my computer don't turn up anything. Plus, I've made a simple hello world program to test this and sent it to one of my friends, and it ran with no problems.

are you using any directX controls?

Don't know whatcha mean by this...

And yeah, it's 1.4MB. It's a 2D rougelike rpg. :P

Hey again ACher91,

So sorry for the late reply, it has been a hectic weekend.... Ok well then it can't be downloaded classes :) ....

And no I don't mean handling memory incorrectly in terms of if you do that you will get build errors and in general your game will just keep crashing. What I mean is you may be entering registries in memory that are suppose to be restricted or what ever the case may be and your anti-virus is viewing that as malicious. So no memory leeks shouldn't cause such issues unless the leak is effecting some other program, which it shouldn't in principle.

Also I don't think reading from files should cause for any suspicious behavior for anti-viruses... Would make sense that if you compiled something else that same thing should happen, so it's safe to assume that's not the case... What I meant by the DirectX, is are you using any functions or controls that make use any the DirectX components which I can also assume now that you are not...

It's hard to tell where the problem lies now without viewing the code, are you able to post source code so it can be re-viewed? I will gladly look it over and see where the issue may lie and I'm sure a few others can comment on it too.

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Weeeeell, okay, here ya go.

I uploaded them to my mediafire account.
The code: http://www.mediafire...zryax26d1vkqwu4
The actual game (that will probably get pwned by your virus scanner): http://www.mediafire...z2dvdg1yta3427w
Yes, you have 10,000 HP. It's not exactly release-ready. :P I just have that there for testing for now.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Weeeeell, okay, here ya go.

I uploaded them to my mediafire account.
The code: http://www.mediafire...zryax26d1vkqwu4
The actual game (that will probably get pwned by your virus scanner): http://www.mediafire...z2dvdg1yta3427w
Yes, you have 10,000 HP. It's not exactly release-ready. :P I just have that there for testing for now.

Sup man,

I downloaded source... Which is sweet but I get tones of errors at compile time! I tried to fix up a few things, but the errors just became over whelming. Do you have a build file or a project file (Please rather give me entire project file) so I can try compile the code myself? I haven't really looked over any of the source to see if there's anything up with it yet, I want to try get it to compile properly first to see if the same result of my anti-virus picking it up on my side.

I forgot to ask earlier, but what compiler are you using?

ACher91

ACher91

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ahh right. I'm using Visual Studio 2010. ...whatever compiler that thing uses. :P

That's the IDE I run it out of usually. It'll need this thingy to work: http://www.mediafire...r669imbg2220xxo
tilelibd for debug mode... otherwise tilelib.