Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sirefef.EF trojan unfindable

• Please log in to reply

Feverish

Feverish

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Good day dear people,

I have a problem with Sirefef.EF trojan.

I probably got it from one of the Facebook adds 2 days ago. The symptoms are the usual ones : redirecting, troubled connecting with the internet, running slow....

Tried to clean it with NOD32 (after finally managing to get through and download the latest definitions) but it seems there is one file which is still infected. The NOD have asked to restart to system for several times, which I did, 11 times, but every time i finish it I still get the msg to restart may computer so that the infected file may be deleted. Of course, that never happens.

The log from the scan says: C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Desktop.ini - a variant of Win32/Sirefef.EF trojan - cleaned by deleting (after the next restart). In total, 18 files were infected but NOD have managed to clean 17, all expect this little...Anyhow, I have tried to look for it in the system but I just can`t find it. Tried first to open the Task manager but there is no process running under this name, tried to enter into the system and look for the infected files one by one but I haven`t found a thing which bears the name of Sirefef.

What I did is that I have disconnected manually the laptop from the network because yesterday, after so many trying, the trojan has always found it`s way to activate and infect more files.

This is sent from another laptop, which fortunatelly is not infected because, like I said, I am not comfortable to go online with the infected one. I saw the previous solutions you have suggested to other users but how I am a complete moron regarding these kind of problems I do not feel confident enough to use the ComboFix by myself.

I would appreciate your help very much as I can`t work for 2 days now. ( and become emphatical with the machine for getting a fever too)

All best from sunny Croatia.

Advertisements

Feverish

Feverish

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, me again:-)

In the meanwhile I`ve tried to start it in the safe mode and then scan it with NOD. He have found the mentioned trojan, deleted it but now I have 2 other problems:

1. The NOD`s firewall is dead
2. The computer won`t connect to the internet.

Now what?