Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't boot - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK since this is going to be a fresh install and I think if I remember right you are using Win7 here is the instructions on how to do it correctly.

You can use this tutorial HERE to do a Clean Install of Win 7.

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
My new CD drive is here, along with the hard drive and 2 new 120mm fans I ordered. Going to open her up and install them in a few minutes.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Everything is connected up (except my original hard drive, which I will hook back up after I'm done installing windows on this new one). Turns out I bought the wrong size fan for the door of my case, so now I have to order a different one. Oh well.

Will update with info as I progress.

Edited by GhostLoad, 16 March 2012 - 06:36 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and I look forward to lots of great news. :thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Windows installed fine. I'm currently installing the drivers for my motherboard (off of the disc for right now). Everything seems fine so far. Once I've got internet and my drivers are up to date, I'll shut her down and reconnect my original hard drive up to the 2nd SATA port. Anything I need to do before I do that?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Make sure you have a anti virus installed before doing anything on the internet. Get all your Microsoft updates done to get your Security for your OS current.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Mkay, I have both my hard drives connected, in the right ports, but when I go into my VOSS it doesn't show the 2nd (my original) hard drive as a boot option. When I go into the advanced settings in the BIOS though, it recognizes both hard drives are plugged on.

After exiting BIOS, and trying to boot with both hard drives connected, I start having the same will-not-boot error.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Well, I unplugged and plugged back in both hard drives, and booted her up. After the windows loading screen, my monitor goes black and the lights on my keyboard go out for about 5 seconds. After a couple seconds go by, my windows login screen pops up, keyboard lights back up, and when I log in I see both hard drives and can access them.

Edited by GhostLoad, 16 March 2012 - 08:33 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the new drive set as the boot drive?
The second drive will not boot because once you installed the OS on the first drive the boot manager only recognizes the new drive as the boot device.
The second drive is nothing more then a storage drive at this point so you can backup your data and then be able to use it for nothing more then storage.
Make sure in the boot sequence that the new drive is the first boot device or it will not boot correctly as it may be looking at the original drive for boot and it doesn't exist because of the problems before.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
My boot sequence is just my CD ROM them my hard drive (new one).

Edit: I can access most of my folders on the old hard drive, except the "User" folders. Most of the stuff I need to get to are I'm my old "my pictures" folder. How do I get at them?

Also, how can I find all my google chrome favorites from my 2nd hard drive.

Edited by GhostLoad, 16 March 2012 - 08:52 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Taken from another set of instructions:

One of the nice things about the Google Chrome web browser is that all you need to do to backup your profile information is locate the folder where your user data is located and copy the data. If you're using Windows XP, that directory is probably in the Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data folder.

Are you saying now the system boots to the new drive since you can access all your old drive?

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Yeah, it's now booting to the new drive fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK if you follow the instructions in my last post you should be able to get the Google Chrome data transferred to you new installation with no problems.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
2 things; 1) I don't see any instructions in your previous post, 2) how do I get to the folders on my old hard drive in my User-MyUsername ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post 116 and you would look on your old hard drive for the path it mentions.