Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM sticks in slots 2 and 4

• Please log in to reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I have a 4GB RAM DDRIII stick in slots 1 and a second one in slot3 (reading left to right, i.e. slot 1 is the leftmost) and all is working fine. If I put a third 4 GB stick in either slot 2 or slot 4 OR put two 4GB sticks in slots 2 and 4, then the computer does not boot up.

Although I really probably don't need 16GB RAM, since I have the two extra sticks I thought there is no harm in installing them.

Is there something I should do in the boot up process to permit me to install this extra RAM?

The machine is a custom. It is running 32bit XP Home. The motherboard is: ASRock H61M-G

I'm no computer expert below is the results of running msinfo32

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name FIRSTFLOOROFFIC
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.10, 3/24/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name FIRSTFLOOROFFIC\Baba
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 8,192.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.87 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 4.82 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The machine is a custom. It is running 32bit XP Home

You do realize that a 32 bit OS will not utilize more then 3.5 gigs of memory?

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rshaffer61,

I knew there was some limit, but I thought it was higher than 4 gig and that the "weakest" link was the processor and motherboard, not the OS - but I'm a civil engineer (retired) and by not means a computer expert. [bleep], I got through a Masters degree with a slide rule.

I initially had the 32 bit XP loaded because I was told that a 64 bit OS could not run any 16 bit programs and also could not run some 32 bit programs that had some 16 bit modules (which is not uncommon in some older 32 bit software). The fact the the so-called downward compatibility Microsoft always expounds was a bunch of BS does not surprise me - how else could the antiChrist (mr.gates) get so rich. I would be willing to bet that 95% of computer users with 64 bit XP, or Vista or 7 could perform 100% of what they do with Windows 2000. Most users don't do more than email and surf the net, let alone open Excel. Similar arguments apply with Office - very, very few use the capabilities added to Office 2003, 2007 or 2010 and could do 99% of their work on Office 97. But this rant is not the issue - sorry.

However, my intent was to perhaps load a 64 bit XP as well. I need to get help and detailed info on how I could load the 64 bit once I booted up, or if there was a way to choose which OS I would boot up from.

Regardless of the limitations of my 32 bit XP, why does putting identical RAM sticks in slots 2 and 4 cause the machine to NOT boot up?

js

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Setting up a dual boot is not that hard as lng as you have the free space available on your hard drive to accomadate the OS. I myself have been running XP Pro 64 bit, Win7 Pro 64 bit and Linux Mandriva Pro 64 all on one hard drive.

The first step I would suggest is check the approved memory list HERE to make sure your memory is all approved to be used on your motherboard.

Secondly trying to find your motherboard specs I cannot find the exact model number you provided. I do find that models in that range all run in dual channel mode.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rshaffer,

The two 4GB sticks currently installed in slots 1 and 3 are Team Group TED34096M1333C9 which is NOT on the compatible list for the H61M-GE and yet the machine is working perfectly fine (as best as I can judge).

Concerning the 64 bit OS. My hard drive has 1.5 TB; it is partitioned into 3 sections, C drive which contains the 32 bit XP has 366 GB and the D and E drives each have 518 GB. The E drive has 514 of the 518 free, so there is plenty of room for another OS.

I need help, however, on setting up two OS. How do I tell the computer which OS to use to boot-up? If I need to run one of my old 16 bit programs, but I booted up in the 64 bit OS, do I need to shut the machine down and then reboot with the 32 bit XP, or can I boot up in the 32 XP while still running the 64 bit OS?

Lastly, this may be all academic if the machine can not boot if I had any RAM to slots 2 and 4.

Your thoughts?

js

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I am still trying to find the exact motherboard you have as the ASRock H61M-G does not show up.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rshaffer,

Is it not: H61M-GE? See http://www.asrock.co...?Model=H61M-GE. It looks exactly as shown in the diagram.

js

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Notice on this board HERE:

1. Before you install memory module on this motherboard, please read below message to avoid any improper installation:
- Due to chipset limitation, if you plan to install three or four memory modules on this motherboard, please install only single-sided memory modules.
- To install two memory modules on this motherboard, please install them on DDR3_A1 and DDR3_B1 DIMM sockets.

2. For the detailed installation information, please refer to the user manual or quick installation guide.
- Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows 32-bit OS. For Windows 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rshaffer61,

Sorry, but I need this to be translated into non-computer guy English. First, I know from what you told me that my 32 bit OS could not use the full 8 GB (two 4GB sticks); also they are in A1 and B1. However, I don't understand about single sided vs double sided. Are the TED34096M1333C9 single or double sided?

Lastly, if I install a 64 bit OS, will this motherboard permit the installation of all four TED34096M1333C9 sticks. (If these are double sided, then am I correct that I can not?)

js

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Single sided ram means there are chips only on one side of the memory module and not on both sides.

Advertisements

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rshaffer61,

These RAM sticks have chips on both sides. Hence, I can only use one each in slots 1 and 3.

Should I keep with this thread to discuss and get help on the loading of a second OS, or should I go to a different forum?

js

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before I explain the loading of the OS can you please do the following.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rshaffer61,

Attached is the screen dump of the computer management page. The info is as I described earlier.

HOWEVER, before we continue I have some questions.

First, I'm a retired senior citizen - I do NO gaming whatsoever. I also do not load up movies, music, etc. My computer is used mainly for Quickbooks (I'm the treasurer of two organizations.), some engineering analyses (I'm a civil engineer and do a little consulting.), my wife's work as a Lecturer in Business Writing, email and web surfing. I use Excel, Paradox, WordPefect and Word. Occasionally I use Presentations, some FORTRAN programs (I have a FORTRAN compiler and write some simple programs.) TurboCad and a few others.

I'm telling you this to see if I really need anything more than my 32 bit XP. What does 64 bit give me, if I don't use any 64 bit games? Even if my current OS limits me to just under 4 GB RAM, do I really need more?

I have no problem loading a 64 bit OS if it gives me something. IF I decide to do so, is it OK to load the 64 bit XP or does Windows 7 give me something that I really need?

js

Attached Thumbnails

• compmgnt screen.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
For what you state you are using the system for you should not need more then the 4 gigs of memory or 3.5 gigs according to the 32 bit OS limit.
As far as the loading of the OS all you need to do is pick the second partition to install it. While installing it will redo the bootmgr so when you boot the system you will be given a choice if you want to boot to XP or Win7. I am searching for a good tutorial to help you with this as I think at one time here at GTG we had such a tutorial available to our members.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
rshaffer1,

Thanks much. I have one final question: What are the advantages of W7 vs XP 64?