Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TV/Graphics card fittzing its last hertz/pixel?

• Please log in to reply

Coeco

Coeco

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello once again Geekstogo.

I was wondering If someone here has experience with LCD screens or strange graphic-card issues since mine appears to be dying whenever I take apply a resolution above 1280x730, it starts to get a lot of disturbance with certain colors/shapes and shows this by wildly tearing at the screen. But here is the strange thing. If i let it try to show the image/color/shape It's having problems with for some time, the tearing will come to almost a complete halt after some time.

I took a screenshot of an image where there was intense tearing inside a game and as I could with clarity see from the thumbnail, the image was not distorted in any but as I opened the image itself, the screen would start tearing again which makes me doubt It's my graphics card since It's fairly new and have no problems with anything else.

My TV however is fairly old and thus, I dismantled it, looked at all the capacitors, cleaned out very small amounts of dust, checked for overheating and found nothing, tested it again after and still the same thing happens.

I am rather hesitant to running a long series of complex tests so If I could have some opinions first, that'd be great.

My graphic-drivers are up to date, Windows is up to date and there are no other issues other than tearing.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Coeco.

Not had this exact experience but have a couple of thoughts.

If the problem started after a recent driver update? could be the cause.
Simplest tests.

If available, try different ports.
Try another cable.
If you have a good friend, borrow a monitor and try on your computer.
Try your video card in your friends computer.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I agree with the above suggestion to try a different monitor and see what happens.