Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan horse hider, win32 lebag win32 heur I'm riddled HELP [Close

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK before I can fix the MBR I need the following information

How many drives are in the computer ?
Which drive are you booting from ?

What has happened is when you changed the MBR you changed the drive from H to C
So windows is looking for drive C now instead of H

From the recovery console command prompt type

Map

Please copy the output here

Then from the command prompt type

Map arc

Again post the output

Advertisements

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Do I boot into recovery console using reatogo disk or the usual f8 without any disk or does it not matter. I only have one drive the h drive. I have an external stor age usb drive which is unplugged, reason its h s had a c drive but it failed so had to put new drive in and load xp and copy data over afterwards from corrupt c drive to h drive.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Go to the recovery console and use the command prompt there

Once we have the map we will move forward

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Ok I tried reboot with reatogo disk in so guess that was wrong as now have to wait to restart as didn't give recovery console option

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
after typing map on h:windows i get the following

H:NTFS 238465MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
a: \Device\Floppy0
g: \Device\CdRom0

after typing map arc i get

H:NTFS 238465MB multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<0>partition(1)
the rest as above

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
At the moment windows is totally confused, as when you did the fixboot from recovery console earlier you did not specify a drive so it made it C by default
Yet the map only sees H

This command may fix the problem

From the recovery console command prompt type the following

fixboot h:

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
ok did that, asked if i was sure, said yes
said successfully written, what next do i just reboot as if normal?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes please --- also cross fingers and toes

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
just rebooted normally from hdd, no joy still

i dont get it, the hdd is okay as i can use it perfectly with reatogo

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
i did ctrl alt del at point it fails and i i get the user log on box which comes up with user name Andy & Joanna
but no password is in the password box, i dont normally enter a password and cant remember if i ever set one but i must have done

is it failing to log on because the password is blank?

how could i retrieve the password or access as admin instead?

Advertisements

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

i found this, is this weorth a try to get my password or am i barking up wrong tree

1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)

2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”

3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.

4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now

5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.

6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.

It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”

Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.

7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.

8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”

9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.

10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.

11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.

12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).

13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.

I tested the above on Windows XP Pro with and without SP1 and also used this method in a real situation where someone could not remember their password and it worked like a charm to fix the problem. This security hole allows access to more than just user accounts. You can also access the Registry and Policy Editor, for example. And its gui access with mouse control. Of course, a Product Key will be needed to continue with the Repair after making the changes, but for anyone intent on gaining access to your system, this would be no problem.

And in case you are wondering, NO, you cannot cancel install after making the changes and expect to logon with your new password.

Cancelling will just result in Setup resuming at bootup and your changes will be lost.

Ok, now that your logon problem is fixed, you should make a point to prevent it from ever happening again by creating a Password Reset Disk. This is a floppy disk you can use in the event you ever forget your log on password. It allows you to set a new password.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
As you have the XP CD - it may well be worth copying all the data that you require using the Reatogo desktop to a USB and doing a fresh install and reformating the drive

But you could try a repair first we do have some instructions on that here

http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
so you dont think its a simple issue like the password has somehow got lost in all the messing about trying to fix the virus and me messing up msconfig?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Not really as if it was that then windows would say wrong password rather than reboot

nobbyburton

nobbyburton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
im doing repair and its saying it cannot copy cdaudio.sys

have cleaned xp cd, but wondering whether to skip file